Mosquito Report 2007 | High Sierra Topix  

Mosquito Report 2007

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: Mineral King & Giant Forest

Postby ritter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:26 am

SSSdave wrote:From what I saw on my two South Yuba backpacks over Memorial Day and my Desolation backpack two weeks ago, this is going to generally be a low mosquito summer.

[-o<

I've got a trip planned to Kaiser Wilderness July 2. Here's hoping for a lackluster sucker season!

ritter
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Postby Matilda » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:38 pm

North Lake to Pine Creek June 19-21--one half of the party took the Piute trail down to Hutchinson Meadow, then went up to Elba Lake (above French Canyon), others went to Elba via Humphrey's Basin/Puppet Pass:
Hutchinson (9,900ish): MAR 7
Piute Pass/Humphreys: 2
Elba (11200ish): 4-5
Matilda
Topix Acquainted

Postby windknot » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:37 pm

Raymond Lake from Wet Meadows on June 19-20. The mosquitoes weren't too bad at the lake itself due to some pretty strong winds most of the evening and throughout the night, but the trailhead at Wet Meadows was full of the buggers. Used this interesting eucalyptus-based repellent that worked wonders, the swarms that descended on us when we stepped out of the truck vanished completely within two minutes of spraying the stuff on.
A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemie south of Glacier Road, May 31 to June 3

Postby michaeljf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Buena Vista Lake (9000') on June 1st was pretty thick with them and I kept the bug juice and netting handy, but they didn't really seem to be biting much. Next night at Ostrander Lake (8500', only a couple of miles away) and there basically weren't any bugs. A little windy there, but not too much. Made for much better camp-relaxing. I expected early June to be much worse.
michaeljf
Topix Novice

Postby Mike McGuire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:13 pm

Just back from 3 day trip out of Kennedy Meadows west of Sonora Pass. Mosquito level zero (0). There were plenty of bugs evenings on the creek, but they were the good kind like mayflies and caddis flies that make for good fishing.

Mike
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Postby Jack Straw » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:30 pm

Just got back from the 20 Lakes Basin and it was pretty bad on the west side of the loop, especially in the morning. It got so bad we left a day early (forgot mosquito nets). The 3M Ultrathon seemed to work pretty well but I still wound up with 25 or so bites. Friday morning in camp there was 30 or more in your face if you stood still for more than a few seconds. It was as bad as I've seen in a long time. Little bastards :mad: !
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will!
Jack Straw
Founding Member

Postby Hikin Mike » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Went to Tuolumne Meadows/Tioga Pass area on Friday. :D Just had no mosquitoes at Siesta Lake, none at Olmsted Point and just a few (3-4 bites) at the trail head of Mt Hoffmann and Dana/Gibbs View. And no...I wasn't hiking to Hoffmann, just checking out the scenery and using the "facilities"!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 am

Just got back from a 6 day trip to the western side of the Ansel
Adams Wilderness.
Never had to use or even think about using deet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

JOHN MUIR WILDERNESS MOSQUITO REPORT

Postby Fishytodd » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:37 pm

june 18-23: mosquitos were moderate at the lakes (lower graveyard, lone indian) in the late morning and early evening. Mucho DEET used.
Chief lakes no mosquitos.

I also learned that mosquito bites on me amount to nothing. no bumps, no itching, nada. makes up for my severe reaction to poison oak ;)
Fishytodd
Topix Newbie

Postby ERIC » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:26 pm

June 22-25

Heart Lake / Sally Keyes Lakes / Selden Pass:

Moderate conditions. Nothing at the pass, few at Heart Lake, but enough to kill a couple in one swat in and around Sally Keyes Lakes. Had to whip out the Deep Woods OFF, even though I was moving down the trail at a fairly good clip.

Heather Lake:

I think winter is the only time this place doesn't have a high population of mozzies. Less than I remembered a couple years ago when I was up there in July, but fishing without repellant still wasn't going to happen (especially in the evening, and/or on the side of the lake that's somewhat sheltered from the wind.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: JOHN MUIR WILDERNESS MOSQUITO REPORT

Postby TehipiteTom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Fishytodd wrote:I also learned that mosquito bites on me amount to nothing. no bumps, no itching, nada. makes up for my severe reaction to poison oak ;)

Same with me--for Sierra mosquitoes, at least. (Lowland mosquitoes are a different story.) I don't know why, but I just don't have a reaction to the bites. When I'm in the mountains, I don't use DEET--I'd rather just let them land on me so I can kill them. ;)
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby MountainMinstrel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:57 pm

Spent Sunday night at Cliff Lake (Dinkey Lakes Wilderness). The skeeters were not bad at all at the lake, but the trail was a different story. I got the first bite as I was getting out of the car and emediately deeted up. If you stoped for more than a few seconds the swarn would be all in your face. Once I got to the like though I changed into my sandals and never got a single bite on my untreated feet. This was suprising because there was only, at best, a very light breeze. When we came back on Monday we took a side trip to a couple of marshy lakes 1/2 mile north on the Nelson lake trail and had no problems, but again, from there to the trail head (along the creek) they were pretty bad.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Conditions Reports and Information