Mosquito Report 2007

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rick
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by rick »

My brother and I hiked out of Agnew Meadows late in the afternoon of August 8 -- no bugs down along the San Joaquin. No bugs later that night at the upper end of Shadow Lake, or the next day at Thousand Islands Lake, or the next day at the far west end of Thousand Islands, or below Donahue Pass, or in the Lyell Fork, and on up to Tuolumne (Aug 13). It was a completely mosquito-free trip! But it was also the driest we had ever seen these areas -- no fires allowed at any elevation outside of Yosemite (as far as we know Yosemite is allowing them below 9600').
daniel
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

North Lake to South Lake via Lamarck Col

Post by daniel »

We just hiked the loop from North Lake to South Lake via Lamarck Col and Darwin Canyon (Bishop area), stretching the trip out to six nights (hiked in August 14, out August 20). The trip was almost completely mosquito free - maybe saw one or two in lower Le Conte Canyon and in lower Dusy Basin, but no bites, no repellent, no nets. The lack of mosquitos greatly enhanced the pleasure of our trip.
huts

Post by huts »

I was lying under my tarp the first night of my trip over Pine Creek Pass, Aug 22-28 and got buzzed by a couple of bugs. That was one hell of a time to realize that I had not brought any bug juice. But all was well. There were no bugs at the lakes above French Canyon. There were some back at Lower Pine Lake again on the last night.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Sept. 2-3, Dinkey Lakes Wilderness had no mosquitos whatsoever.