1/18/19 Snow Survey Results

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

1/18/19 Snow Survey Results

Post by maverick »

Current snow pack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 1/18/19 Snow Survey Results

Post by bobby49 »

That is good enough data for now. Now is the time to start planning summer backpacking trips.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

So if I'm reading this right, the sierra's are getting an average amount of snowfall at this point in the season?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

You are reading that right. But I would not put much stock in it at this point. Until at least early April, since so much can change. You will note that when you look at things on the Dep. of Water Resources site, the April 1 average is what everything is compared to, as that is historically the maximum water content of the snowpack. And even after that, how warm or wet or snowy the last part of the spring is can make a big difference in how much snow you find up high in the summer. Plus this data is remote sensor data, less accurate than the manual surveys done at the end of each month.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Manual survey numbers are starting to come in now for end of January, and so far things look just about average, slightly above. It's a good start. Current forecasts call for pretty good snowfall in the mountains the next week or so.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Crap. Looks like it's well above average right now. My plan to do early June in the Belle Canyon/Sugarloaf areas is not looking good.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

It’s dumping in Tahoe right now, with more on the way \:D/
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Is it just me, or has the snowfall rate greatly reduced over the last few weeks? Its still way over normal levels at this point in the year based on the link above, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Edit: how do current levels compare to the same time of year back in 2011 and 2017?
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Dustybottoms21, I'm not sure if the rate has slowed as the last storm was pretty intense and this week it's still coming down.

A great post with a link to check out multiple years of snow water equivalent is:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3791&p=144178#p143693

Also, there are older and newer posts in the thread with other links that offer a way to view data related to snow in the Sierra.

Enjoy!