Buttermilk Road - McGee Creek TH

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Buttermilk Road - McGee Creek TH

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

Hi! It's been a while! Anyone know what it's like driving to McGee Creek TH (Buttermilk Rd area) these days?

I have driven down to the end of Buttermilk Rd to Horton Lakes TH before in my Subaru Forester. I was very stressed and vowed never to repeat it. I think it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago? But I have a strong partner and we want to try East Arete of Mount Humphreys, so I am wondering if any of you have any recent road beta or opinions. We want to try and finish up the route in one day so minimizing hiking would be best.

I saw on Mountain Project there was a big washout at the end of July and a Subaru was parked in the middle of the road, possibly stuck, and the people went up and climbed anyway. I wonder if it had to be towed? Or they drove out? Anyone know anything about that?
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Buttermilk Road - McGee Creek TH

Post by SSSdave »

Last summer drove in my 2007 Forester the first few miles to the creek. Decades ago drove all the way to the Horton Trailhead in a Legacy. Not close to possible to do that anymore. I'm talented at navigating such marginal high wheelbase 4wd roads. There were too many heavily eroded spots where one has to span some ugly trench where one slip could mean bottoming out getting stuck with a thud. Some sections with big immobile rocks poking up in the road. Much of the geology is not something a shovel is going to remedy if stuck but rather a VERY expensive call for a tow out of Bishop. One can drive the first half to mile past the Peabodys ok and then park in a couple spurs. Advise inspecting it closely with Google Earth.