Questions Regarding Colby Pass Trail

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
lockmangabriel
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Questions Regarding Colby Pass Trail

Post by lockmangabriel »

Currently planning a trip through Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP. Part of the route goes east over Colby Pass down to Junction Meadow. SEKI reports state that the trail from eastern side of the pass down to Junction Meadow is very overgrown and hard to follow, and also mentions that there has been a rockslide on the northwestern side of the pass. Has anyone been through the area recently enough to know the extent of the trail damage and if any major navigation skills are required? Any info would be much appreciated!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Questions Regarding Colby Pass Trail

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Lockmangabriel,
Welcome to HST!
I found it by using the search box on the upper right side above the forum.
That TR addresses half of the OP's question in regards to Colby Pass Northern Side, in which he makes not mention of any difficulties on Colby, but he went over Milestone Pass and did not go down to Junction Meadow.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

At the last time that I went over Colby Pass, I first studied the map to see exactly where the trail was supposed to be. Then as I got closer to the obstacles, I simply avoided them and went where the trail should be taking me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
8/7 - Junction Meadow to Colby Pass on Sequoia side is very overgrown and hard to follow. Requires route finding skills.

7/31 - The North-West side of the pass has suffered a recent rockslide and is making ~1/2 mile of the pass very difficult to navigate/traverse. Route finding skills and scrambling are required. Caution is urged. May be stock impassable.
This is the only video that I could find from the north side of Colby, no TR's from 2018, yet, but still looking. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIV1mu1Y2Rs

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigSea
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigSea »

I went over Colby Pass down to Junction Meadow about two weeks ago. It may have been overgrown in some parts, but didn't seem hard to follow. Interestingly, that update about the rockslide was on 7/31 and I went over the pass on 8/1, but don't recall even seeing any evidence of a rockslide. It's definitely possible I just went over or around it without thinking anything of it. It's also possible that I just have a terrible memory. :) Certainly no major navigation skills were required.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yep, just remembered your TR thru the area. :)

levi
Topix Acquainted

Post by levi »

I went over Colby (from the Kings side to the Sequoia side) the first week of July, so I can't comment on the apparent recent rockslide, though the northwest side of the pass is indeed steep enough that you'd want to be careful if the switchbacks were out (I remember being impressed by the switchback engineering going from so-called "Upper Colby Lake" to the pass). There wasn't much snow, either. On the south/east side of the pass, I do recall one or two short sections, between Gallats and Rockslide "lakes" (and miles from Colby Pass, at that point), where plant growth and tall piles of deadfall forced me and my wife to mildly bushwhack for a few dozen feet before regaining the trail. If you're already that deep in the wilderness I'd hope this wouldn't faze you :) (also, BigSea, did you change your handle!?)
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Thebrenner »

Hi I just came back from a trip where I went over Colby Pass from Colby Lake .... Definitely a huge rock slide on the pass... It looks as if some of the rocks are loose... However I had no problem finding and following the trail on the pass. In terms of Colby Pass down to Junction Meadow, the trail is easy to find.... The last mile or so is in the bushes and true it is overgrown but the trail was right there under my boot the whole time. Let me know if you want more Intel.