FLASH FLOOD WATCH 7/24

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

FLASH FLOOD WATCH 7/24

Post by maverick »

NWS:
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 8 PM
PDT THIS EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a

- Flash Flood Watch for much of Western Nevada, the Eastern Sierra, and parts of the Lake Tahoe vicinity.

- From 3 PM this afternoon to 8 PM PDT this evening.

- Thunderstorms are expected to redevelop this afternoon with an enhanced risk of flash flooding and severe weather. Storms can rapidly produce 1-2 inches of rain resulting in flash flooding. The same storms will also be capable of producing large amounts of hail, frequent lightning, dust storms, and erratic outflow winds to 60 mph.

- The highest risk areas for flooding are those that have seen excessive rainfall the past three days. Also areas of steep terrain or recent burn scars will be prone to rock slides and debris flows. Large amounts of small hail can quickly produce winter-like driving conditions even if it`s July.

- Remain weather aware this afternoon and evening. Be prepared to take action if a warning is issued. Have a way to monitor radar and receive weather alerts.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

People in the watch area should continue to be aware of the possibility for heavy rainfall, avoid low lying areas, and be careful when approaching highway dips and underpasses. Severe storms with hail and high winds can develop rapidly. Be prepared for sudden changes in weather and road condition.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: FLASH FLOOD WATCH 7/24

Post by BigMan »

When I was hiking in to Cottonwood Lakes on 7/25, some backpackers were leaving due to the intense hailstorm they endured on 7/24.

Then I experienced a hailstorm on 7/26 while hiking into Miter Basin. Saw lightening strike a tree less than 2000 feet away. Retreated to a lower meadow to camp, when I realized how cold I had become. Set up the tent on a bed of hail and got warm.

Then, on 7/29, a day for which the “wx now” forecast made no mention of thunderstorms, another intense hailstorm started at 11am, just as I was arriving at 11,924’ Iridescent Lake.

I’ve read “make no assumptions” and “prepare for the worst” so many times, but needed another reminder. Feeling very humbled.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.