Virginia Pass/Glines Canyon snow report?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jmnorvell
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Virginia Pass/Glines Canyon snow report?

Post by jmnorvell »

I'm planning a trip up Glines Canyon and over Virginia Pass for the last week in July. Last year (August 2017) there was enough of a snowfield on the east side to make me nervous on the way back down without spikes and ice axe. Has anyone been up there this year? I'm thinking there should be much less snow there this year...
--
John Norvell
jmnorvell
Topix Novice

Re: Virginia Pass/Glines Canyon snow report?

Post by jmnorvell »

I just discovered Google Earth's feature to see past imagery. Most years they have data for there's no snow here in the summer. I'm going to assume it's gone by now.
--
John Norvell
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I went over it two years ago in late July and there was no snow. Granted, that was a low snow year. I doubt you'll have any issues.

Edit: I think you may have to deal with smoke from the Ferguson fire, though.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Edit: I think you may have to deal with smoke from the Ferguson fire, though.
With the fire only 13% contained and already at over 33,000 acres, you may want to re-consider your location. Below link shows today's smoke effected areas. Change the dates daily to see the effects, but as you can see today, Virginia Canyon is getting quite a bit of smoke.

https://tools.airfire.org/websky/v1/run ... 00/#viewer
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org