2018 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2018 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports

Post by maverick »

Would you consider the North Lake South Lake loop to be in the risk area? Supposed to go next week.
As of of now fine, but keep in mind, this fire is just getting started and is massive, and no where near containment.
Worst is Yosemite, then north up to Tahoe, and south into Ansel Adams Wilderness, the very western sides of Sierra, all the way down to Sequoia NP is being effected, on the eastern side, from Mammoth Lakes up to South Lake Tahoe, in the 395 corridor.
Again, wind conditions can change this dramatically, use the below link provided to view conditions, just be sure to update the dates at the top.

https://tools.airfire.org/websky/v1/run ... 00/#viewer
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Current Valley Conditions 7/18

Post by maverick »

Who wants to inhale all that unhealthy smoke and have minimal visibility. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Ferguson Fire 7/19

Post by maverick »

Smoke outlook:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Ferguson Fire 7/19

Post by maverick »

USFS:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Ferguson Fire 7/19

Post by maverick »

Photos:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Emigrant Smoke Report 7/15-7/16

Post by maverick »

Paul on SNCC-TPP wrote:
Just came out of Upper Buck Lake in Emigrant Wilderness. Smoke from the fire was terrible. Went in Saturday. Visibility Sunday and Monday was less than a mile at times. Awful. Hiked out yesterday and had smoke all the way to Crabtree trailhead. If ya gotta go, ya gotta go. But I would recommend waiting until the smoke clears. Oh...and by the way...we encountered a Timber Rattler at Crabtree parking lot....so beware.

SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Syrio wrote:Would you consider the North Lake South Lake loop to be in the risk area? Supposed to go next week.
The whole range is in the POTENTIAL risk area but day to day depending on wind directions one could go from heavy smoke to clear skies. It is true the further south is generally less likely to be smoky because prevailing winds are most often from the west or southwest. Unfortunately forecasting how that will play out is not easily forecast because the amount of smoke generated by the fire can vary considerably day to day as conditions like temperatures, wind, and where the burning edge of the fire is. For instance next week there is a longer range forecast for 3 digit temps in the valley and if high winds also occur while the fire reaches terrain with high fuels, it could blow up with massive smoke like happened a couple days ago. That is impossibly terrain to put firefighters on the ground at except at jeep road perimeters and there is still a huge area of roadless terrain just outside the burn perimeter that the fire is going to take days to burn through to even get to those roads.

As much as someone may be locked into a trip, it just takes a single day hiking strenuously in smoke above a modest threshold to convince most people to bail as it both aggravates one's lungs and weakens ones strength just like hiking in high heat. For photographers it is a deal breaker, for peakbaggers and fishermen less so. So if you are one of the latter and at least some smoke won't be much an issue, as far south as North Lake could work out.
Last edited by SSSdave on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

SSSdave wrote: day to day depending on wind directions one could go from heavy smoke to clear skies.
Happened in Deso today...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Horse Creek Fire in Sequoia NP 7/19

Post by maverick »

:(
SEKI NP:
Late this afternoon, visitors on their way to Mineral King spotted the Horse Creek Fire across the canyon, south of the Mineral King Road. The fire was approximately two acres upon initial size-up from the parks’ helicopter, and is burning in steep, rugged terrain with no recent fire history. The fire is located in designated wilderness. Due to its location and high spread potential, this fire is receiving a full suppression response.

The Horse Creek Fire has been determined to be lightning-caused. Park firefighters have initiated suppression efforts with water drops, and crews are being mobilized to fight the fire on the ground. There are no trail or area closures associated with this fire at this time. Motorists on the Mineral King Road in the coming days can expect to see firefighters and firefighting equipment, including large engines. Please drive very cautiously and observe instructions from firefighters and other park employees.

The Horse Creek Fire is unrelated to the Fowler Fire, another lightning-caused fire located north of the Tar Gap Trail and south of the Mineral King Road. The Fowler Fire is burning in a small area within the footprint of the Mosquito Prescribed Burn of 2018, and exhibits minimal spread potential. The Fowler Fire is being monitored by air and ground patrol.

For updates on the Horse Creek Fire, visit https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5984/.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Ferguson Fire 7/20 Update

Post by maverick »

USFS: