2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lamarck Col 7/5

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP by Kathy George
:
Pic #1
Looking back at Lamarck Col after easy descent from the dry west side. As you can see, people have left a few deep trails to follow. In this pict., we followed the trail you see the people in. It will take you right to the col sign if coming up as they are doing. This was during the first week of July. No traction needed, soft snow, some slight postholing but not a problem. Enjoy!!!!

Pic #2
Here's looking right at the col from the west. Note the sign on the left at the very top. Also note the bright yellow flowers that line the trail right at the top, a welcome sight after coming up through boulders, scree on the west side.

Pic #3
This is looking down at the 5th lake of the Darwin Bench lakes from the col--gorgeous!!! Snow free all the way!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Re: 2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by dapperdave »

Piute pass trail 7/20 - Large trail washout covering the switchbacks in the talis zone below the first lake. Passable but knowledge of trail position preferable.

Dave
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

McGee Pass Mud Slide / No Foot Bridge at Tully Hole

Post by maverick »

Jessica Haist on SNCC-TPP:
West side of McGee Pass has also seen a bit of mud slide damage and is very wet. The trail from the pass to Tully Hole has 5 wet crossings and there is no longer a "footbridge" across Fish Creek at Tully Hole. The rivers and creeks out there are pretty high these days with all the rain!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Piute Pass Mudslide 7/22

Post by maverick »

Peter Maxwell posted on SNCC-TPP:
The Piute Pass trail suffered a huge landslide on Thursday afternoon due to an incredible thunderstorm. The trail is wiped out over a really large area. The picture shows the beginning of it from the top as we were hiking down. There was quite a bit of scrambling necessary, but it felt solid enough. I've never seen so much water all over the trail in other parts as well.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Pine Creek Trail Damage 7/24

Post by maverick »

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:
Our wilderness rangers report that there has been a series of rockfalls along the Pine Creek Trail, near Pine Creek Falls but below Pine Creek Lake. This was before the monsoonal rains that came this weekend, so conditions may have changed again. There are stretches of the trail that are under heavy debris.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

USFS:
UPDATE 7/24: This slide has NOT been cleared. It is above the resort and above the beaver dams. One 4-wheel drive vehicle was trapped behind the slide, but they were able to get out. This will not be cleared for some time

Big rains brought big mud and rocks to Lundy Canyon on Friday.
https://www.facebook.com/MonoSheriff/vi ... 8539809702

tomba
Topix Regular

11/9-11/12 Humphreys Basin

Post by tomba »

Route by lakes: Loch Leven, Piute, Muriel, lower Wahoo, Golden Trout, Lower Deso, Tomahawk, Mesa, Square, Roget, Puppet Pass, Puppet, Star, L, French, Little French, Petite, Steelhead, Steelhead Pass, Rust, Deso, Humphreys.

Many (but not all) lakes were frozen or partly frozen. Up to about 2 inches thick. On the way out the ice on Loch Leven, which doesn't get much sunshine this time of year, was even thicker. It seemed possible to skate.

There was smoke Saturday morning that gradually dissipated throughout the day. Other days were clear.
Last edited by tomba on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Tomba, how cold at sunrise?
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I don't know the temperature. Didn't have a thermometer. In a double-walled Tarptent Notch, pitched low to the ground, the water in the bottles in the tent (in the inner mesh) next to my pad partly froze. On subsequent nights I covered them with a puffy jacket. That prevented freezing (until uncovered).

By the way, there was no snow.
tomba
Topix Regular

Frozen lakes in Tioga Pass area before 11/17

Post by tomba »

I have heard from someone that he was skating lakes in Tioga Pass area last week.