Current Conditions in Desolation Wilderness 5/19

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Current Conditions in Desolation Wilderness 5/19

Post by maverick »

AJ Kaufman wrote:
From Glen Alpine to Susie lake completely clear. 25% coverage around Heather. 95% coverage above 8k almost everywhere. Snow is well consolidated and I didn't posthole much.

Susie lake is 50% ice covered, Heather is 90% covered, and Aloha is 95% covered although the ice is definitely not stable. Didn't stop by lake of the woods on account of hail.

I don't recommend the tamarack trail which required intensive route finding and several sketchy and/or wet creek crossings and a couple tight ravines.

According to some backpackers at the east end of Aloha who came up from echo lakes it was clear until the triangle lake junction. From Aloha to that junction it was 100% covered but the trail was easy to follow and the snow was manageable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Current Conditions in Desolation Wilderness 5/19

Post by TahoeJeff »

It's raining up there right now, and may turn to snow later....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

What do you think the odds are of finding a dry spot to pitch a tent in zone 33 on June 2?
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here is the Winter Weather Advisory up there from the feds:

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx. ... =Stateline NV&product1=Winter+Weather+Advisory&lat=38.9594&lon=-119.9377

But Weather Underground shows sunny and 60s-70s next week in town. There may be some spots on the East shore of Aloha that will melt off by next weekend.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks Jeff! I'll definitely report back here when I get back.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by apeman45 »

I was up on Mt Ralston today. Snow level on south facing slopes is 9k and around 8k on north facing slopes. Tallac had no snow on the south face. Lake of the Woods looks to be a week out for ice out. Aloha still had a lot of snow around it but with 90's in the forecast it should be melting fast. Aloha still had a lot of ice. Half Moon Lake was ice free and Gilmore still looked frozen. A good heat wave will open things up nicely in the next couple weeks.
JMc
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by JMc »

Anyone able to update conditions in the Desolation South, around Lake Aloha?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JMC,
Welcome to HST!

Read: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 10#p135849
Has a recent Aloha area update. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Prob too late but did a quickie tallac today, lake aloha was totally melted out from what I saw, no snow to note at aloha lake level