2018 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2018 Mosquito Reports

Post by maverick »

1 - No mosquitoes or if there are some, but not biting yet
2 - Very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk
3 - Moderate during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
4 - Heavy during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
5 - Unbearable all day, no breaks, cannot eat outside of tent. If you stop, hundreds
will descend on you; when looking thru a camera viewfinder, you see more skeeters than
lake. If you slapped your arm, you'd smear blood from all the dead gorged bodies

Please do not post questions or ask about a particular area in this thread. Also, include where you went, with dates included, in the "Subject" box. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Mono Basin 5/10

Post by SSSdave »

Mono Lake Basin, evening Thursday May 10, a couple whining mosquitoes of a large species one often sees about the Owens River south of Bishop, had me rolling up my Forester windows. But Friday late afternoon a cold front came in that covered areas with snow above 7000 feet. Saturday dawn was 26F where i parked at 6500 feet and 17F where I stopped for images at higher up east on SR120. Thus they and any others that decided on taking winds on a trip north have frozen to death. Rest of month looks cool and wet that will continue to prune back those eager to range above balmy Bishop.
tomba
Topix Regular

Emigrant Wilderness 5/26-5/28

Post by tomba »

Between Crabtree TH and Jewelry Lake, and between Groundhog Meadow and and the outlet of Jewelry Lake confluence with Buck Meadow Creek - no mosquitoes.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Prather ranger station ref. Courtright Res. etc.

Post by michaelzim »

Just talked to the folks at Prather Ranger Station regarding mosquitoes, etc. going out of Courtright Reservoir into upper Kings River areas...The road is open (road to Wishon has been for a while now) but still snow around the reservoir area and much more up into the higher elevations. However, even with freezing nights the mosquitoes are ignoring the temperatures and are out and about doing their thing there. *[Elevation = 8,150 ft.]

This fits with my past experiences of wondering what the blazes mosquitoes are doing starting to appear when I'm at 10,000 ft. in late May during drier years, yet there is still snow all around and lakes are just in the process of ice breaking up, etc. They kind of know that the days are longer and it is feeding time, so they stagger out and try their luck.
So, looks like an early "pre-mosquitoes" trip for me is not going to happen this year due to the weird cold May and the drizzle, light snow showers, etc. that have been hitting the Sierras for the past month. Once it starts getting warmer consistently I expect the mosquitoes may explode into catch-up mode.

I will be following reports once people start getting into the high country proper to see how this season shakes out.

Best, Michaelzim
Pearl
Topix Novice

Horseshoe Meadow-Cottonwood Pass 5/25-27

Post by Pearl »

Horseshoe Meadow - Trail Pass- Cottonwood Pass - Chicken Spring Lake

May 25th - 26th - 27th

No Mosquitoes at any location from 10,000ft to 11,250ft
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Lodgepole>Twin Lake>Lodgepole 5/31-6/1

Post by zacjust32 »

5/31-6/1: Lodgepole--> Mt. Silliman--> Twin Lakes--> Lodgepole. 1- Didn't see a single mosquito the whole time.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2018 Mosquito Reports

Post by kpeter »

Mosquitoes are generally not a problem in the Northern Yosemite region. I was annoyed at the trailhead at 5000 feet but they were entirely absent at 7000 feet and above. We also had a couple of very cold nights during this trip and this may have slowed them down. I would guess that Kibbie Lake (6500) will be a problem in one to two weeks, with higher elevations to follow in succession.

5/28 Kibbie Lake 6513. 2. There were a few small and non aggressive mosquitoes at dawn and dusk.
5/29-June 1 Cherry Creek 7100, Boundary Lake region 7500, Mercur Lakes 7800. 1 I used no repellent and was not bitten or annoyed for 5 days.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Re: 2018 Mosquito Reports

Post by Love the Sierra »

I was also all around Cottonwood Lakes basin, John Muir Lake, and both Army passes, 5/26-/5/28. Not a single mosquito. 1
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

GCT Out & Back From Tuolumne 5/31-6/3

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Grand Canyon Tuolumne.

5/31 = 0 very breezy, cold night Tuolumne Meadows to top of Waterwheel Falls
6/1 = 1 much warmer, just a few at 1.5 miles upstream from Pate Valley (in-your-face gnats=2 ants=3, rattlesnakes=3)
6/2 =1 very warm, a few actual mosquitoes at top of California Falls, (in-your-face gnats=3)
6/3= 1-2 more mosquitoes, enough at rest breaks to need head net

In spite of annoyance of gnats and mosquitoes, none were yet biting. The hatch has just started. Could be ugly in a week.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Donner Pass area 6/3/18

Post by wildhiker »

Dayhiked Johnson Canyon just east of Donner Pass on 6/3/18. Elevations 6400 to 7600 feet. South-facing canyon. No snow at all, even at top. Warm and calm. Zero mosquitoes.
-Phil