Weather Alert 11/2-11/5

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Weather Alert 11/2-11/5

Post by maverick »

A large cold front is heading into the Sierra starting on Thur thru Sun, and our weather pattern will be changing. You can expect all the major passes, including Tioga Road, to close for the season after this storm.
Last edited by copeg on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Date correction
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Weather Alert 11/2-11/5

Post by SSSdave »

Today's Reno forecast discussion is now hinting a wet pattern may linger through the second week of November. They also upped likely precipitation totals to as much a 3 feet at crest areas of the Central Sierra region. For we snow sliders this just may open up the resort season for good early November that has not happened in many years. Although it often snows early, the shallow depths usually melt out within a week or two leaving the Thanksgiving holiday dry or too thin. That recent October 20 storm primed higher elevation lower ground temperatures for more snow. For photographers it can be productive period for fresh post storm snow landscapes because depths are still rather shallow thus easier to boot or snowshoe through. Also on highways that stay open in the winter, there will still be a lot more roadside pull outs open for parking versus later when depths encroach over road sides. Along SR88 are miles of roadside where I see nice tree subjects that I simply cannot get to because there are no nearby pull outs within a reasonable distance. Another nugget is snow levels by Sunday will be down to about 5000 at Yosemite Valley meaning much of the upper canyon walls will have the winter wonderland look that can offer some excellent telephoto lens subjects.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-20.html
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

This is a weather event that gets us high country locals to make sure the snow blower starts, irrigation systems shut down, fire wood stacked, etc.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please post some, before and after pictures, if you would TJ. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

NWS:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

This is a weather event that gets us high country locals to make sure the snow blower starts, irrigation systems shut down, fire wood stacked, etc.
... and your skis tuned, skins re-stuck, ...
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Well the "up to 4" at lake level" turned out to be wind and a sprinkling of rain, and the 1 to 2 feet above 7K was just a dusting...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman