Mosquitoes at Thousand Island area vs. Sabrina Basin?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mosquitoes at Thousand Island area vs. Sabrina Basin?

Post by Cycleboy »

Possibly we'll see you up there. I want to be in the backcountry for the eclipse.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mangomegan »

Same. The eclipse day is DD's 11th birthday! So special to spend it in the backcountry. Maybe see you there--we are a family of four, and DH is an amputee--makes for a memorable way to recognize him...

FYI, I called the ranger at Bishop today, and was told there's no snow up there.
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cycleboy »

Ok, that's good to hear. I'll be checking in various sites and calling the rangers again during the week for any bug update.

I think we are leaning towards going for it. The latest thought is if we get up there and it's terrible, we'll move elsewhere or come down to Mammoth or somewhere to relax. We are a tall white guy and a short Asian lady.
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cycleboy »

We decided to call off our plans. I'm bummed but one too many iffy things conspiring against it. Maybe next month we'll get a chance. If not, then next summer.