Sonora pass is epic right now

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sonora pass is epic right now

Post by Sierra_Summits »

I was just out at Sonora pass on my way home from Bridgeport and did a day hike. It was sooo amazing up there. So many wildflowers and snow patches all over. Not too many bugs either. If you have never been there it is a really nice area to check out! I'll be heading back there at the end of August and I'm thinking there will still be snow on the peaks around there and into the hoover wilderness. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sonora pass is epic right now

Post by SSSdave »

Ebbetts Pass and Carson Pass are probably at peak now also. All the Mehrten formation volcanic landscapes north of Yosemite have exceptional peak wildflower displays after wet winters because that volcanic geology has rich plant nutrients. 2011 at Ebbetts after the wet 2010 winter:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/11-K-9.jpg
David
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

And, for how smoke is filling up the southern Sierra/Owens Valley up through Mammoth, I'm wondering how far north I'll need to head with my buddy from out East to avoid the fires. Maybe we'll see you up there...........I think it was 3 years ago my wife & I ran into you near the top of New Army pass.
Happy trails!
Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And, for how smoke is filling up the southern Sierra/Owens Valley up through Mammoth, I'm wondering how far north I'll need to head with my buddy from out East to avoid the fires.
Cameron,
Was up North Big Pine 8/2-8/6, no smoke in towards the lakes, but Owens had pretty thick smoke, especially going north towards Mammoth. This all can change if we have even more fires starting, like the newer Butte Fire and Indian Fire :( , and of course the wind direction makes a big difference too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I really want to get out there. I think the gnarly appearance of those volcanic crags makes such a nice contrast with the wildflowers; it's such a visually appealing combination.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Beautiful! Thanks!
missmatilda
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by missmatilda »

beautiful pics -- thanks for sharing!!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Went over Sonora Pass on July 27 and the flowers were nice back then, too. See: http://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/sekihiker/2017/7/28