More Tehipite Valley Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
reblaw
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

More Tehipite Valley Conditions

Post by reblaw »

In Tehipite Valley July 24 - Aug 1, many rattlesnakes along the trail, often in the shade (I thought they liked the sunny spots?). Plenty of bear activity, including bear cubs, which was wonderful to see climbing up a tree, but terrifying given the unknown whereabouts of momma bear. Tons of mosquitoes, and more that ample poison oak for everyone to enjoy!
We ran into a NPS dude named Cody, out on a Sunday morning stroll. Nice guy; great to see a human being when you're down there. After ascending Son of a B*** trail, we ran into 2 more NPS guys, looked like they were from D.C. (quality of shirts and Danner boots give it away). Said they were there to start raspberry bush eradication (although I believe the problematic non-native invasion is blackberry, not raspberry).
Met 1 other group of 7 backpackers who had also ascended from Tehipite valley that day; please DM if you'd like to share trip notes.
Kudos to brother Chris who kept me on track and safe the whole trip. No small feat.
Rebecca Lawson
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: More Tehipite Valley Conditions

Post by Jimr »

Thank you for the update Rebecca. And welcome to HST.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.