Mono Pass/ Pioneer Basin TR 7/21-26

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mono Pass/ Pioneer Basin TR 7/21-26

Post by DaveDill »

I just returned from a trip over Mono Pass to Pioneer Basin. Following is a brief summary of conditions:

1. An impressive amount of snow remains on Mono Pass. I managed easily with Yaktrax and poles even early when the snow was a bit hard. Boot track path is well established. I saw a number of day hikers navigate without poles or micro spikes, however I would not recommend as there is one section that is somewhat exposed.

2. Stream crossing were easily manageable. I was able to get across Mono Creek on a log crossing and in Pioneer Basin I waded several streams easily in bare feet up to thigh height in calmer sections.

3. Mosquitos were variable. maybe a 3 out of 5 at dusk and a 1-2 during the day.

4. I spent three nights in the basin traveling to all the lakes and didn't see a sole beyond the lowest lake.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Pass/ Pioneer Basin TR 7/21-26

Post by gbrown09 »

Thanks for the TR and awesome photo! I'm heading up there next weekend and I was wondering how icy the lakes are? What general elevation/or which lakes were iced over? I'll be there for only 2 nights, any recommendations on the most photogenic spots?
vinjo
Topix Acquainted

Post by vinjo »

What a beautiful picture!
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by DaveDill »

Only the highest lake was iced over. This basin is very photogenic. Given the orientation it gets great light at sunset and reasonably good light at sunrise. Hard to pick a bad spot - all the lakes have great photographic potential. Good luck.
Bigmo61
Topix Novice

Post by Bigmo61 »

DaveDill wrote:I just returned from a trip over Mono Pass to Pioneer Basin. Following is a brief summary of conditions:

1. An impressive amount of snow remains on Mono Pass. I managed easily with Yaktrax and poles even early when the snow was a bit hard. Boot track path is well established. I saw a number of day hikers navigate without poles or micro spikes, however I would not recommend as there is one section that is somewhat exposed.

2. Stream crossing were easily manageable. I was able to get across Mono Creek on a log crossing and in Pioneer Basin I waded several streams easily in bare feet up to thigh height in calmer sections.

3. Mosquitos were variable. maybe a 3 out of 5 at dusk and a 1-2 during the day.

4. I spent three nights in the basin traveling to all the lakes and didn't see a sole beyond the lowest lake.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Dave: I'm going there end of Aug. any tips as to areas to explore and/or good camping spots. thanks.

David
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by webdweeb »

Love the photo of the PB lake-reminds me of my one and only solo hike over Mono Pass to the Fourth Recess Lake and Pioneer Basin back in the late 80s. The pass was like the surface of the moon, but the basin and the Recess lake were sublime.
mpeters
Topix Acquainted

Post by mpeters »

Thanks for the report! Headed out this direction next Thursday and looking forward to first time to Mono recesses and Pioneer basin. Hoping for some lingering ice on the lakes.
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Thank you! :)
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

d_silva1 wrote:Dave: I'm going there end of Aug. any tips as to areas to explore and/or good camping spots. thanks.

David
We'll maybe bump into each other :)