Florence Lake to Evolution Valley?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Florence Lake to Evolution Valley?

Post by walterfredo »

Is this doable right now? Can't find any trail reports, I think because Florence Lake is not in the park. Also, perhaps Evolution Valley is just a boggy swamp right now. Can anyone provide any recent reports? Thank you.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Florence Lake to Evolution Valley?

Post by AlmostThere »

Florence Lake to Evolution is fine, though the meadows are buggy and that stretch of trail is darn hot. Evolution Creek was very high, is probably still moderately high, but crossing further up in the meadow is do-able. All meadows are going to be wet and buggy, across the board.
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

Thank you! I was hoping you'd chime in, I read your post on another thread about being on the trail crew. Looking for a good 3-5 day hike, to replace our planned HST hike, that doesn't have too many challenging crossings and snow.
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

And I see this should have been posted in a different area of the forum, my bad! Feel free to move. Sorry!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

At the moment there are no challenging crossings on that route - I doubt Evolution is as challenging as it was earlier. There's probably still fields of suncups in the Basin but the valley is a nice destination on its own.
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

AlmostThere wrote:Florence Lake to Evolution is fine, though the meadows are buggy and that stretch of trail is darn hot. Evolution Creek was very high, is probably still moderately high, but crossing further up in the meadow is do-able. All meadows are going to be wet and buggy, across the board.
We're considering leaving this Monday on this hike, would the camping spots potentially be boggy in these areas as well? I've never been in this area and am curious about camp spots on the route, and in particular the meadows.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You should be camping in dry areas on durable surfaces, at least 100 feet from the water. FS had interns out remediating illegal campsites in meadows last week. That will be less buggy anyway. You can't camp on the property around Muir Trail Ranch - you can camp near the ferry dock. There are a couple large illegal campsites right where the trail drops to the river's edge about six miles out and beyond MTR, but there are others beyond it.
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

I'm reading that bear canisters are not specifically required on the trail between Florence lake evolution valley. Are there bear boxes? If not we'll have all food in canisters.