Bishop Pass Trail to Dusy Basin 7/15-7/17

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Backpacklifer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bishop Pass Trail to Dusy Basin 7/15-7/17

Post by Backpacklifer »

Hi everyone. A friend and I hiked over Bishop Pass and into Dusy Basin this past weekend for a 3 day backpack. This is just an update on the current snow conditions in the area. A more detailed trip report will come later.

The trail up to long lake is snow free, but sections are very wet with some areas becoming small creek beds. Along Long Lake the trail is submerged under about 1 foot of water so you have to scramble along the rocks.

Major snow fields start just below 11,000 feet. There was a fairly easy path through most of the snow fields with very few sections with any type of dangerous exposure. You cannot follow the trail in it's intended direction because of the snow and dangerous creek crossing. There is a side trail that consists of snow travel and some off trail hiking to get up above Timberline Tarns and Saddlerock Lake. Be careful following other peoples tracks. We went up a steep snow field following a larger group of people to make the pass only to find out that the switchbacks were 90% snow free. We did the switchbacks on the way back out and there was one steep snowy section that was dangerous.

There was much more snow on the Dusy Basin side of the pass. Again there are boot tracks in the snow but the trail is no existent and you have to just hike or "island hop" through the snow to dry land as you pick your way down into the basin. It is fairly easy navigating down, but I recommend bringing a GPS to help with navigation.

There is quiet a bit of snow left in the basin, but a few dry camp spots. Be careful following other peoples tracks in the snow on both sides of the pass. On the South Lake side there are tracks that lead to a extremely dangerous creek crossing and some were hiking over a snow bridge that I would not recommend anyone go over in the afternoon.

Sorry. Still trying to figure out how to get my photos small enough to post them on here.
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass Trail to Dusy Basin 7/15-7/17

Post by B.Kruger »

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
C-level
Topix Acquainted

Post by C-level »

Thanks for the info. Been waiting for a report from someone in that area.
apenglase
Topix Newbie

Post by apenglase »

Hello, thank you for your report. Can you tell me any more about the snow quality? Is it firm in the morning and slushy in the afternoon or is it very consolidated throughout the day? I'm asking because I am trying to decide on bringing microspikes or not on an upcoming trip. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!
Backpacklifer
Topix Novice

Post by Backpacklifer »

Hi apenglase,

We did not bring any special gear. Boots and trekking poles were just fine for us. Even with the warmer weather the snow stayed fairly solid throughout the day and was easy to travel on. Never postholed. Obviously early in the morning things could be different, but by 9am the snow was perfect. We did a fair amount of snow travel on the second day exploring the Basin and had no problems with slush or traction. The sun cups are large though. I would say micro spikes are personal preference at this point. They are defenitly not needed. Hope this helps! Have fun. It such a beautiful place.
apenglase
Topix Newbie

Post by apenglase »

Awesome! Thanks for the beta!