Piute Pass/Humphrey's Basin conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ogg
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Piute Pass/Humphrey's Basin conditions

Post by ogg »

Any recent observations of snow conditions on Piute Pass trail and Humphrey's basin? I'm heading up there next week. Thanks.
Bigmo61
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Piute Pass/Humphrey's Basin conditions

Post by Bigmo61 »

From the Forest service web site:

Piute Pass
7/3 - 8-10 Miles of snow above McClure Meadow. 100% snow coverage above 10,500ft and on passes. Evolutiuon Creek is waist to shoulder deep- fluxuating throughout the day. Piute Pass into Humphries has deep snow and sun cups down to 10,500 ft. Sun cups are becoming more unreliable, especially in the AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

ogg,
Judging from Harlen's recent trip into Bear Lakes basin (which is just over the Merriam ridge from where you're headed), it's not going to be hugely different from the conditions during the trip I did from 20-30 June. Check the photos from my trip report (and Harlen's), and if you want more info, let me know. If it's any consolation, there were places where Piute Creek was exposed and the adjacent snow banks ranged from 10-15 ft thick. In other words, you will still be hitting LOTS of snow.
Cameron
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bigmo61 and cundersen nailed it. I just loaded a July 12 MODIS snow cover image on this thread:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 22#p122422

Shows huge expanses of snow in those areas until one gets lower down below most lakes into the canyons. For instance Hutchinson Meadow looks fine.

David