Big SEKI snow level

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bugsinherteeth
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Big SEKI snow level

Post by bugsinherteeth »

Hello!

I'm considering a 1st visit to the Big SEKI loop. I'm out-of-state and have read the mtn's received possibly double the usual average snow fall this winter. And so I'm wondering if anyone knows what it's like in the Big SEKI region?

I'm wondering about factors like camping in snow; being able to follow the trail; and if mosquitoes might be worse later into the season...

Also, the only map that I know of besides what's online for the entire SEKI region would be basically the corners of 3 different topo's. Is there a specific SEKI map? I guess if you spend the time, you can find topo's online and zoom them to what you need and print.

TIA for any help!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big SEKI snow level

Post by maverick »

Hi Bugsinherteeth,

Welcome to HST!
When are you wanting to do this trip?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You can also order a custom topo from MyTopo, which I do when there is a trip that crosses three or more quadrant maps. I have one that covers the corners of four USGS quadrants.

When you answer the question of when, the rest will be clear... if it's right now, well, all the thru hikers are carrying ice axes....
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Some stats you should be aware of, if you aren't:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is always speculation about future conditions. But it is reasonable to conclude that, given the state of things today, yes, a longer mosquito season, high water and more snow above 10,000 feet. In 2011, another high snow year, normal conditions lagged about a month. Often you can camp in dry locations even when there is a lot of snow to walk on. I have set up on the top of a flat rock before to avoid snow. Even if the snow is gone, the ground may be too soggy to camp on. Right now seems to be in the middle of the melt- in my opinion worse than earlier, because the snow is becoming very unstable, sun-cups larger by the day and many rivers have yet to peak. Most of the PCT hikers have formed travel groups of 2-5 to go through the Sierra, particularly for the strength in numbers at stream crossings. They also all have at least micro-spikes, some crampons and some ice-axes. That is heavy gear to carry if not used all the time. If I had the choice, I would do it late Aug - Sept.
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by powderhound »

Yes, there is a SEKI map! They don't carry the acronym SEKI though. Tom Harrison Maps makes a wonderful "Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks" map that covers the entire loop. Tom Harrison really makes the best maps imho, and this particular map is terrific. It's the map that I carried when I did the SEKI loop two years ago.

As for snow conditions, I'm still wondering about them a bit myself, but I would expect to encounter a good bit of snow right now. August would be best if you have the option, otherwise I would bring microspikes. I'm doing part of that loop in 3 weeks and I'm debating if I should bring microspikes or not.

It's a terrific loop though! You will love it. Be warned that many sections are very strenuous (it's harder than the JMT imo), so start training now if you haven't already. There should be lots of water for most of the loop, but when I did it there was a very hot and dry section going from Granite Pass to Simpson Meadow where I didn't see any creeks. This part of the hike also has significant elevation change, making it easier to do it clockwise than counter-clockwise. This section also has some of the most amazing views I've seen in the Sierra, and Windy Peak (a short side hike) is supposed to be even better.

Be prepared for bears. Simpson Meadow is a hotspot for bears, as are most of the trailheads. I saw several there. Granite Lake also has a resident bear that had cubs the last time I was there. Use your canister and be prepared to be awestruck!
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by powderhound »

As for following the trail, sections of this loop are not heavily-trafficked at all. The northwest quarter and the section going from Junction Meadow to Colby Pass (if you decide to go that route, it's incredible, I like it better than the HST segment) see very few people. The trail can be a bit overgrown at times, though not hard to follow when they're dry. I would not want to try this loop with lots of snow on the ground though, as these sections might be tricky without the tracks of other hikers to follow. The JMT and HST sections are all heavily trafficked and shouldn't be hard to follow even with snow on the ground.

Mosquitoes will be terrible this July, and probably into August. They will be awful, bring bug spray. I like Picaridin because it won't damage synthetics the way DEET will.