Exessive Heat Watch Issued 6/16-19

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Exessive Heat Watch Issued 6/16-19

Post by maverick »

NWS Hanford:

Be careful and take precautions if your heading up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Re: Exessive Heat Watch Issued 6/16-19

Post by Tom_H »

I am wondering how much this will affect the snowpack. Most of the radiation hitting white snow will reflect straight back into space, but as trees and exposed rocks absorb heat that creates a snowball (excuse the pun) effect of more and more melting. This could be the beginning of a huge surge in stream levels.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Yup, possible flood stage for the Merced in Yosemite Valley Sunday night.(https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwacapge ... 95fb314cf2).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Earlier this year I was in Yosemite Valley at flood stage. Honestly, it is a great time to be there. Photography is amazing with all the reflections off the flooded valley. Just at flood stage there is minor flooding, roads still OK to drive in. Right now the issue if coming up 140 is the closure due to rock fall. Forecast is for about 90 degrees in the valley. That heat may make it a bit less wonderful.

Tom, it is not just reflection off snow. When the air temperature is 80 degrees (as predicted) solid snow areas will also start melting. The melt and freezing at higher altitudes will start to create sun-cups. I bet there will be some massive sun-cups this year!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

PS. I am heading to the cooler Olympic National Park tomorrow and gladly will escape the heat! No backpacking planned- just some day-hikes in the rain forest and beach walking. We will come back on Hwy 1 down the Oregon coast, returning by 4th July weekend, after which I will seriously try to get into the high Sierra.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

WD, you're right about air temp. Have fun on the car trip. I am sure the little backpack trip with your granddaughter was a true joy.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Driving home from the northern Sierra today (Sun, 6/18), my car outside air temperature gauge said it was between 109 and 112 all the way from Auburn to Vacaville, and then it hit 116 on the hill between Vacaville and Fairfield! I admit, this car gauge may not be the most accurate, but I've never seen it that hot before.
-Phil
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

wild hiker wrote:my car outside air temperature gauge...hit 116 on the hill between Vacaville and Fairfield!
If this keeps up, we will not be hiking on snow all summer as we thought. Crossing streams is going to be treacherous for awhile.