N Fork Big Pine Creek 6/13-6/15/17

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: N Fork Big Pine Creek 6/13-6/15/17

Post by cgundersen »

This looks fantastic; thanks for the pictures! I think we'll be following Hobbes' footprints in over Piute next week, and if the weather is anything like this, it should be a great start of the backpacking season!
cameron
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Thanks for this. Going to try and pull a walk up permit tomorrow and give it a whirl.
Bob12345
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Bob12345 »

Great info everyone, we are heading up on the 30th, any info regarding road closings, stream crossings, and conditions getting to all 7 lakes and Palisade Glacier would be much appreciated.
Phiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Phiker »

Bob12345 wrote:Great info everyone, we are heading up on the 30th, any info regarding road closings, stream crossings, and conditions getting to all 7 lakes and Palisade Glacier would be much appreciated.
I hiked the North Fork of Big Pine Creek this past Friday (June 23rd). There are no road closures, no snow on the trail for First, Second and Third Lakes. Snow starts at the trail junction for "Glacier trail" (leading to Sam Mack Meadow/Palisade Glacier) and Lakes 5-6-7. I turned around at Fourth Lake, at that point the trail was under snow. Anything above 10,500 feet was covered in snow. That being said, it is melting fast so conditions could improve quickly. Both creek crossings early on the North Fork trail have bridges. You will not get your feet wet anywhere.