Humphreys Basin snow conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Humphreys Basin snow conditions

Post by Harlen »

Has anyone been up to H. Basin recently? What do you think about ski-touring up there now? My wife and I were hoping to bring lightweight skinny skis in the hope that there is still enough snow (and not too bumpy) to enjoy skiing around- perhaps up toward the north side of Glacier Divide? Thanks for the advice if it's out there. Cheers, Harlen.

p.s. We assume that we'll be packing the skis up to the top of Piute Pass, that's no problem, just don't want to do it all for naught. Where does the skiable snow start?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Humphreys Basin snow conditions

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I'm still figuring out what I want to do. We're entering the awkward stage where the snow has melted enough to make skis/shoes unnecessary, but crampons (if doing peaks/cols/ridges) or spikes are still handy.

To add insult to injury, the melt water is making not just rivers & creeks raging torrents, but streams and the trail itself. Many of the high elevation lakes are still frozen or just beginning to thaw, so the fishing opportunities are limited.

So, the net-net is (a) you lose the pristine above-tree-line alpine experience (such as your Kearsarge/Shepherd & Miter/Crabtree hikes); but (b) you can't travel anywhere very far below that elevation because of the water obstacles; and (c) you can't fish either - neither the (frozen) lakes or raging run-off. :crybaby:

I'm thinking I might also hike into Humphreys, but then I'm not sure what I would do. I guess I could check out Carrol col, but then Russ' lake is probably still frozen, so I couldn't bag any of his GT before he gets out there in Sept.

Hmm, anybody have any ideas?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I think a great high route sort of hike would be in Piute-- across H.Basin-- across French Canyon, and the either (the harder way) up thru the basin with Lakes Merriam, and LaSalle, and over Feather Pass --- between Black Bear Lake and White Bear Lake to a saddle that leads on to Italy Pass, then down thru Granite Park and Pine Creek and out; or (the easy way) --across French Canyon and up thru Royce Lakes Basin, and thru one of those little saddles that drop you neatly into Granite Park and on down. There's even a "middle path," that would include the easy climb up Royce Peak: --- across French Canyon, and up the basin that leads between Royce and Merriam. Drop your pack on the saddle, and hike the easy route up the south or west side of Royce- probably the south side will be in pretty good condition, and then back down and out via Pine Creek Pass. All of those prospective routes will keep one happily above the high water problems, unless perhaps the crossing below Pine Lk. might be troublesome, but I doubt that it would be?

Lizzie and I are probably just going to camp under that great big "Shadow Mountain," (aka Mt. Hump.) and try to have fun on skinny skis. Best of Luck, Harlen.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I think I'm going to do that loop in August.