Piute Pass 6/1

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Piute Pass 6/1

Post by maverick »

Yes please, a few more details re. the snow level. When did the snow begin Maverick?
This was reported/posted by Inyo NF. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Okay, we thought you had been up there yourself Maverick.

I will try again on Monday with a call to the Inyo USFS office, but they have so far be unhelpful.
So, does anyone in the forum know the condition of the trail from North Lake up to Piute Pass? I.e., where can one put on the skis? Thanks a lot, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

One would think its a mess right now. Haven't been there yet this year, but knowing the trail, you probably hit meaningful snow at ~9k.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey thanks Russ,

That's something to go on. You see, going in with my wife and dogs I much prefer to use a sled. As you already know, and I think, at least tacitly approve of-- I give my dog's Bailey's Irish Cream with their dry food (you provide poolside drinks to your dog- isn't that what you said Russ? (Mai Tai's?). And now, with my wife involved, I will need to bring a couple bottles of at least mediocre wine in great big glass bottles.

So, I really do need to know where the snow begins to guage the potential value of the "pulk"/sled.
Thanks for your advice Russ. All the best, Harlen.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Recent pics of snow free Lake Sabrina are posted at http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com/t ... eport.html . Recent pics of semi-icy South Lake are at https://www.facebook.com/Parchers-Resor ... 705363136/ . Looks like patches only below ~10k.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Harlen wrote: And now, with my wife involved, I will need to bring a couple bottles of at least mediocre wine in great big glass bottles.
Box wine. It works..

Also, I think a pulk won't be very valuable now, given the terrain and the snow melt on.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Or RumRunner flasks for the wine. My 16 oz. size weighs 0.4 ounces.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I don't like the Baileys thing.. Last dog is 15.7 years old and failing. Had to pull him from the pool at 3am thrice. Take wet food and add it to the dry. No alcohol.. Cured sausage and what you cook for your meal meat wise work as well. Cheese is good as well. They love you anyway.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

"I don't like the Baileys thing. Last dog ..... Had to pull him from the pool at 3am thrice"

And I'm not sure your old dog can still handle his liquor.

p.s. There is no Bailey's in any one around here- too expensive! :wink:
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Just back from Humphrey's Basin last night. Nice trip with meaningful ( but still spotty) snow beginning after Loch Leven ~ 2.5 miles from the TH., solidly covered from Piute Lake to the pass. For downhill skiers, the run from the pass down to the Piute Lake was still doable, and surprisingly smooth compared to the cavernous sun cups we dealt with elsewhere. You can ski your legs off in the basin, and we did! Marginal ski-touring due to sun-cups- Paul, what are the best skis for a sun-cup-ridden basin?

All the lakes in H.basin are still snowed over, with a few beautiful turquoise melt zones at the edges. Photos coming soon with a more formal TR.

The dogs made it fine, my pulk suffered, but still helped us out all the way down, with first 25, and then 10 lbs. in it. Probably should have left it home as per Russ' advice.