Vernon Lake Loop

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jdille
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Vernon Lake Loop

Post by jdille »

Did the Vernon Lake Loop over Memorial Day Weekend. I received an email earlier in the week that Wapama Falls was closed and that we should have alternate plans. Heading up to Hetch Hetchy on Saturday, 5/27, we planned on an out and back to Vernon. But when we arrived the rangers indicated that Wapama was open (at your own risk) and said the outlet of Vernon was flooded but doable. We decided to head up to Vernon and make our plan based on the Vernon outlet. In the end, we decided we were confident in doing a loop.

Snow free on Beehive Meadows trail to Vernon Lake. Meadows were about ankle deep in places. Outlet at Vernon requires significant wading. We did it in the thigh deep portion further from the edge where the water was deeper and calmer. Snow on the trail above Vernon at about 7000 feet. At the most 4 - 5 feet deep in places. The snow was still pretty firm. We lost the trail a few times before the ridge but have done the route before and found it again easily.

Tiltill Valley was flooded to ankles. Honestly, it seemed less flooded than the same time last year. Wapama Falls was flowing over the last bridge and I can understand why they would close it if the flow was higher.

Mosquitoes are 1 -2 in any of the meadows and in the oak lowland woods (coming into Tiltill and also out of Rancheria).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Vernon Lake Loop

Post by Cross Country »

I wish you had also gone to Laurel Lake. I'm curious about it, this time of this year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Did you get a chance to see the falls/cascade at the northern eastern end of the basin? Branigan Creek should be booming this year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jdille
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jdille »

Cross Country, I also wish we had a chance to go to Laurel Lake. I completely forgot to ask the Ranger about the Laurel conditions when we got our permit. I was so surprised that the Vernon outlet might be open that I forgot to ask about Frog Creek.

Maverick, you could see the falls from the northern end of the lake and from the hike out of Vernon. It was pretty amazing! I wish I had better pictures--especially this year versus last.

Also of note-- there were five bears I saw along the route (including a mother and cub). I've never seen so many bears grubbing in one short weekend trip!