Rubicon River / 11 Pines RD.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Pacifico87
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Rubicon River / 11 Pines RD.

Post by Pacifico87 »

Wondering if anyone has been up to the Rubicon River Area, or the crossing at 11Pines Road. Curious to know conditions up to Hell Hole Res. as well.

Any fresh info. would be appreciated!

Thanks!
michaelgrosse
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Rubicon River / 11 Pines RD.

Post by michaelgrosse »

I had called the ranger station in Georgetown with some questions about backpacking in the Hell Hole Reservoir area, this was middle April, and she had said that all of the access roads had been damaged. Not sure if they have been fixed as of yet. Here is a tool I believe I found on a posting form this forum:

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/StormDamage2017/

michael
Pacifico87
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Rubicon River / 11 Pines RD.

Post by Pacifico87 »

Thanks Michael,

I got off the phone with the ranger stations up there, and they both said the conditions are decent. There is a group of college kids working along the trail up the rubicon river she said. The road to Hell Hole from the west is bad, you have to go through French Meadows Reservoir then down if you are driving. We are planning on parking along Wentworth and hiking up the river to Hell Hole. I will let everyone know how it is when we get back!