Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged | High Sierra Topix  

Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged

Postby pilcorito » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 am

Here is the downstream tree that was being used to cross on September 09, 2017. The tree made it all the way across the river, and the water lever was such that it was only covering half the river bed, so you were only exposed for halfway across the river (which was easily fordable as well).
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.

pilcorito
Topix Newbie

Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Postby schmalz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 pm

I think I am going to try to hike the Rae Lakes Loop this Memorial Day weekend, if the low snow year continues at least. It's looking like this tree will probably still be the crossing at that point. Looks pretty solid?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Flamingo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm bumping-up this thread. Does anyone else have photos / TRs / first-hand experience crossing South Fork Kings River at Upper Paradise from last season?
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Postby maverick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, an HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby jeremiahkim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Crossed in mid-September and found the log quite manageable. With higher water levels though, would have been a bit spooky.

As the video that Mav posted shows, the log doesn't quite bridge the entire gap, and one must traverse the root clump when traveling west to east with the water channel beneath fairly deep.
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.
jeremiahkim
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Flamingo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks for the links + photos, @maverick and @jeremiahkim.

I also found this Rae Lakes Loop video from August 2017 (link below), which shows a unique perspective on the Upper Paradise log situation.

VIDEO LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNFWC3GVZKI
Flamingo
Topix Regular

SEKI Update 3/23

Postby maverick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am

SEKI NP:
The South Fork Kings River Bridge above Paradise Valley washed out during the winter of 2016-2017. Construction of a replacement bridge will not begin before 2019. Depending on conditions, crossing the South Fork of the Kings River can be extremely hazardous. Observe conditions carefully and then evaluate the risk of crossing. Be prepared to turn back. If you hike the Rae Lakes Loop beginning from Bubbs Creek, plan for the possibility that you may have to backtrack to safely reach Cedar Grove.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... s-loop.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, an HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Previous

Return to Conditions Reports and Information