Conditions advice: Enchanted Gorge early-ish season

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rigobert
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Conditions advice: Enchanted Gorge early-ish season

Post by rigobert »

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in hiking a loop starting from Courtwright Lake through the Ionian basin, down Enchanted Gorge and up Goddard canyon. I've seen a few different trip reports on similar hikes and it looks like a load of fun. However I haven't really seen too many people mention doing it in late May / early June, and nor have I seen anyone mention doing it in after such a snowy winter season.

Has anyone here attempted something similar before, and would you recommend it? Also if anyone has been in the area recently current conditions would also be appreciated

Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Conditions advice: Enchanted Gorge early-ish season

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What level of winter mountaineering experience do you have? Are you an expert at snow climbing and know the hazards, particularly of spring snow during rapid melt? Skis? Are you an expert?

I went down Enchanted Gorge in August after a very high snowpack year. There were still snowbridges across creeks and water was too high to cross. I had an ice axe and mountaineering boots and did one very sketchy belly roll across a snow bridge. I did it as a day-hike/bivouack from Chasm Lake. There was considerable snow up high and it was very icy.

I suspect that this year, now and in June there would be considerable avalanche danger. Perhaps nobody has done it with current snow conditions because it is not safe.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Rigobert,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205#p25161
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

May or early June, you ain't getting there. the road to Courtright is closed until the snow melts. Their estimate as of mid May was 4-6 weeks, which is mid to late June. And once you get there, there's no guarantee the higher elevations won't still have significant snow -- there's still up to 20 feet in some regions, 9-10000 feet elevation will have snow for a while yet.

You're not going to see many people mention doing it because it is a challenging bushwack when there is no snow. Never heard of anyone who did it twice.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I called the ranger at Prather late last week and she confirmed what AT said. The road is not scheduled to be opened for another 4 - 6 weeks out.

"Never heard of anyone who did it twice."

You ain't kiddin'! I would suspect Enchanted Gorge to be treacherous this early in the game and Goddard creek impossible to cross. Getting up Goddard requires many stream crossings.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Jimr wrote: "Never heard of anyone who did it twice."
I'd do it again if I had visited every other place I've wanted to go and finished all the projects I'm working on.

Don't be discouraged. It's a worthwhile trip, but if you are not into winter mountaineering, this is not the year to go early season.

I'm not aware that the snow bridges in the lower part of the gorge ever melt completely. From my experience and from reading all the reports I've run across, everyone seems to have seen them. Has anyone ever observed that they have completely melted away?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think they were melted when Rogue went down. You would have to look up his trip reports. I suspect that during 2014, at the depth of the drought, the snow bridges may have melted.

You could probably twist my arm to go down it again. I am a bit masochistic.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I gave the subject some consideration last year, but then rolled over and went back to sleep until the thought dissipated. Sometimes, I'm not in my right mind. BTW, I just got back from 4 days camping in Cedar Grove. The South and Middle fork Kings were torrents. Very cool. I haven't seen this much water in years. Tokopa falls out of Lodgepole was a grand site. Snow level was around 8K. Campers were out en-masse. There was a party at every turnout along the river up to the national park sign. Driving up and down the road was fine though.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.