Stony Creek in JLW Conditions Update 5/19

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Stony Creek in JLW Conditions Update 5/19

Post by maverick »

Sequoia NFS:
Wilderness Ranger Jeffrey Duneman’s scouting report on Stony Creek Trail (Jennie Lakes Wilderness) Friday, 19 May
============

After scouting the Stony Creek Trail last weekend, I found little to no snow down low (6,000-7,000 ft.), but once up to about 7,500-8,000 ft. I was climbing on 10-15 foot snowbanks and had to put on my snowshoes to get anywhere. Viewing the high country in the distance I clearly could see an awful lot of snow on the peaks – quite beautiful! I could not see the trail route for much of the way and there were numerous “new” streams flowing because of the finally normal snowfall.

Stony Creek itself was gushing unlike I’ve seen it before – be very cautious when near these High Sierra streams and rivers right now! I would estimate that both areas around Jennie Lake (elev. 9,000+ ft.) and Weaver Lake (elev. 8,700+ ft.) are thoroughly buried under snow and will be well into June. Please check with the Hume Lake Ranger District office for updates on snow conditions as we head into June.

Again, we anticipate that the main access to the wilderness – Big Meadow Road – will be closed until early or mid-June. If you hike in via Stony Creek before that, *please* go prepared for winter hiking and camping conditions. Once the main road is opened and we can more easily get into the back country, I’ll send out another trails update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org