Trip reports from 1995?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip reports from 1995?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, all high snow years referred to, were high snow April 1. I would think what really is important to us is the melt, not the total snow. I personally am hoping for a nice easy, steady, slow melt, even though it may wreck my backpacking. I would rather not see flooding like we had it here in 1997-8. A quick melt would be a disaster. This may be a good year to buy some micros-pikes and try them out. I have crampons, but they are so heavy to carry.

Fourth of July 2011 I did a trip from Sliver Lake up to Lost Lakes, Alger Lakes, etc. It was solid snow above Waugh Lake. But, it was a great trip, no big crossings, and really not much problems. Did an early trip from Echo Lake into Desolation, again, lots of walking on snow, but no problem, really. I had to wade but nothing horrible. I do remember one of the years when the melt washed out the bridge in Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip reports from 1995

Post by ERIC »

longri wrote:I think there is an unstated assumption that the snow will continue to fall. It's a very human thing to do, to extrapolate based on recent history. But if you look back there are have been many extended periods where there was essentially no snow fall. In 2011 it was kind of dry through January and much of February. I spent a lot days climbing in Yosemite Valley in Jan/Feb 2011.
Winter weather advisory in much of the Sierra this weekend through Monday to add to the totals, which has been the forecast going back several days. But agree, it ain't over yet.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

This is a great post... I hope more people respond with more details. The picture of Wanda Lake on 7/31/2011 is..well sobering...
I did a trip over Cottonwood Pass and up into Miter Basin on like 7/15/2011. Cottonwood Pass was basically clear of snow ( just a couple of patches) but I tried to go up over Crabtree Pass, and there was too much snow and ice at the lake above Sky Blue Lake to proceed. In fact, the look of this lake made me think of "pressure ice" in Antarctica.. Iridescent, Primrose, and Erin were all frozen while Sky Blue was open.

I am worried more about stream crossings than snow probably for the month of July. Need to plan around them.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

The other thing to keep in mind is that the "total snow pack percentage of normal" is usually some sort of statewide weighted average. It's a great metric for the water guys and not bad for wilderness enthusiasts either. But it's just one way to look at it and is not necessarily accurate for a given drainage or region. This year the Sierra appears to be getting relatively more snowfall than average as compared to the northern parts of the state.

One metric that illustrates this is a weighted average that LADWP creates using snow courses in the Owens Valley. These are stations between 9500' and 10800' and include Mammoth Pass, Rock Creek, South Lake, Cottonwood Lakes and others. By that measure we have already surpassed the snow pack of 1983.

The Tuolumne winter rangers recently reported record snow depth for March 1: "The snow surveys that we conducted this week revealed historical records for snow depth and water content for March 1. These records date back to 1930."
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

And the same is true of the north, apparently.

From today's Merc: "As of March 5, eight key weather stations from Lake Tahoe to Mount Shasta measured an average of 77.3 inches of precipitation since Oct. 1. A normal year is 50 inches, and this year’s total is even running above the monster winters of 1997-98 and 1982-83."
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

kpeter wrote:And the same is true of the north, apparently.

From today's Merc: "As of March 5, eight key weather stations from Lake Tahoe to Mount Shasta measured an average of 77.3 inches of precipitation since Oct. 1. A normal year is 50 inches, and this year’s total is even running above the monster winters of 1997-98 and 1982-83."
That's total precipitation, not just existent snow.