Onion Valley 2/9/17

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Onion Valley 2/9/17

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
How much snow is out there? This is the parking lot for Onion Valley (elevation 9,200 ft.) and the trailhead for Kearsarge Pass. Look closely, and you can see the roof of the restrooms poking through the snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TempeScott
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Onion Valley 2/9/17

Post by TempeScott »

Maverick,

New member here, live in AZ. I have been hiking once a year in the Sierras for about 20 years, usually 5-6 day trips along the east with 8 guys from Long Beach, like Paiute pass, Kearsage Pass, Hilton lakes, Whitney from behind by route of Discovery Pinnacle, Mcgee Creek, etc. al up and down the east side... we have been in through this campsite in your picture... and we are scratching our heads about all the snow this year. How long do you guess it will be before a campsite like this one at Onion Valley is open. I realize you are guessing. We are all about 50, love to fish, and probably not up for long slogs through deep snow. Do we need to push it back to late July, August??? Usually we go up in May or first week of June to avoid Mosquitos... and we like it cold at night... but we want to get in... any help would be appreciated. Maybe we just need to go in the West side and stay lower??? Thanks, Scott
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Onion Valley 2/9/17

Post by maverick »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to HST! Your safest bet is to push your trip back as far as you can, if snow travel in the High Sierra is not desired. Yes, places like Dinkey Lakes on the western side will be accessible earlier, offering good fishing and scenery, but would definitely plan on mosquitoes and a lot of people avoiding the snow in the high country.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org