2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Post by ERIC »

Thanks so much for reporting back, Lobo! Any photos you'd be willing to share?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

How did you get over to Agnew Meadows? I thought the Postpile road was closed due to damage.
Lobo
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lobo »

Eric - here's a few photos. The first is the view from the high trail, looking toward's Shadow Lake. The second one is by the outlet of Thousand Island lake, and almost everything is covered. The third one is a pano around Shadow creek. Most of the snow you see is on a North facing slope. I should also note that my friend's Corgi, with 4" long legs, did the whole hike without any problems, other than having to be carried over some creek crossings.

Dave - The Postpile road was closed to vehicles, but open to bicyclists and pedestrians, so we had an extra 3-4 mile walk from the Mammoth ski resort. They plowed it on Sunday though, so it's a pretty easy walk. I'm not sure when they'll be opening it for the shuttle. The nice thing is that it's keeping the crowds out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lobo on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Much appreciated.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

Lobo wrote:Eric - here's a few photos. Most of the snow you see is on a North facing slope. The first is the view from the high trail, looking toward's Shadow Lake. The second one is by the outlet of Thousand Island lake, and almost everything is covered. The third one is a pano around Shadow creek. I should also note that my friend's Corgi, with 4" long legs, did the whole hike without any problems, other than having to be carried over some creek crossings.

Dave - The Postpile road was closed to vehicles, but open to bicyclists and pedestrians, so we had an extra 3-4 mile walk from the Mammoth ski resort. They plowed it on Sunday though, so it's a pretty easy walk. I'm not sure when they'll be opening it for the shuttle. The nice thing is that it's keeping the crowds out.

Thanks so much for this! We have permits for Thousand Island Lake area and were digging so much to figure out the best way to Agnew Meadows. I have 4 days off and was willing to hike to the area from an open, safe trail. But all I came up with was closures and danger, and the ranger stations have been hard to get a hold of.

To the rest of the group - I was thinking a couple days exploring Toulumne Meadows through Tioga Pass (I have never been through this area) until my Thousand Island Lakes permit comes into effect for Monday. Is it safe to drive up to TIoga, explore, then head to Mammoth and do the intended loop? I think that would be a splendid way to spend my long weekend. :)
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Big Pine NF was raging, but trail was fine to lake 4 last weekend. Lake 2 is almost completely snow free around.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Thanks Lobo.

Ned Tibbit's' (Mountain Education) 6/29 report is at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/joh ... ages/65595 .
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Mammoth Hazy.jpg
Had to get my July skiing in so we hit Mammoth, here is a photo from the top. There is/was a fire somewhere so the view wasn't the best but you get the idea...Lots of Snoooow :drinkers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Saddlebag Lake 7/2/17

Post by gary c. »

Saddlebag Lake and store taken July 2, 2017. Copied from their FB page.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted

Post by gbrown09 »

Anyone have info on Sabrina Basin? I have a permit from the Lake Sabrina trailhead this weekend (7/8) and wanted to head to either Midnight/Moonlight/Hungry Packer Lake. Thanks in advance!