2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Post by Harlen »

Thank you for a very thorough update and good travel advice. Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
mander715
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mander715 »

Hi LMBSGV, How was the Rock Creek crossing on the way to Gem Lake? I'm planning on heading up to this area this Thursday, Aug. 3. Thanks!
Ghoulwe
Topix Newbie

Post by Ghoulwe »

There is snow the last 200' to Elizabeth Pass in Deadman Canyon (July 29). No snow on the south side of the pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Mander, the the Rock Creek crossing a couple of weeks ago was thigh deep with fast-running water. I doubt it's like that now. There's a log that some people were using, but at my age, I don't do log balancing anymore. On the way back down, I crossed below Long Lake where the water was only ankle deep and took the trail on the other side to intersect the main trail.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Franklin Pass-Kaweah Gap 8/2-8/5

Post by kpeter »

Franklin Pass August 2. Nothing on the west. At the top, there was a 15' steep snowbank to cross to start down the eastern side, and then a few hundred yards of flat, sun cupped snow that was trivial below. Some people went straight over the upper snowbank and were beginning to wear a stepped trail through it. I and others hike along the flat top of the bank north a ways to find a less steep diagonal traverse down.

Kaweah Gap August 5. First, the much vaunted "ice tunnel" or "ice flow" just after the blasted rock tunnel on the HST was completely melted out. However, there were half a dozen snowbanks in patches from Precipice Lake (still 95% frozen--don't imagine you are going to camp there--there was one lonely tent pad out from under the snow) through the gap and then three patches on the eastern side. All have well worn trails in them now. People were getting over without traction, but I definitely was happy to have my poles and microspikes.
DSC02314.jpg
DSC02312.jpg
The most nerve racking for me was a snowbank east of Precipice. The bank was about 10-15 feet high and covered the gap except for a snow melt lake that had accumulated below. The only way through was to go on top of the snow. It had pulled away from the cliff and parts of it had split off into the lake, at one point giving less than six feet of width to trudge with unpleasant falls on either side.
DSC02306.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maverick on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Forrester Pass: 8/12 - some snow patches. The "steepness" reported by the FS is over-rated. The slopes are about 30-35 degrees with huge sun cups; if you fell you would end up in a sun cup. The "path" on the upper section of the north side does not follow the trail- it instead climbs vertically up a big snow stringer (very easy) and then traverses to the pass.

Crabtree Pass- I just looked at it- did not go up. A few avoidable snow stringers.

Pass south of Lake South America - snow band at top, but it is low angle and short

Trail Crest (Whitney)- all snow free
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Also, the north side of Rockwell Pass looked like it had a cornice all the way across. I only saw it from a distance (had no binoculars). I detoured it via Bighorn Plateau. The south side was completely dry.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Has anyone heard about snow conditions on Knapsack, Potluck and Cirque Passes? I'm going over these passes (and on to Mather Pass) beginning August 27. Thanks in advance.
Mmalone32
Topix Novice

Post by Mmalone32 »

Hello:

Are you still planning on going over Potluck and Cirque in late August? Have you heard anymore about conditions?

Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Higehr Elevations Emigrant Wilderness

PCT from Sonora Pass to saddle between Kennedy Creek and Kennedy Canyon have three significant snowfields. However there are well-worn paths. The snow is hard in the morning, and by 10AM soft enough that you do not need traction devices. But if you did fall, you would likely get hurt as there are no good run-outs.

The mining road switchbacks down from Big Sam to the saddle have SIGNIFICANT steep snow coverage. It was enough that I altered my plans.

Latopie Lake is still mostly frozen.

Although I did not see the switchbacks, given that the Big Sam switchbacks are snow covered, it is likely that the switchbacks down to Levitt Lake also have some snow coverage.

Huge snowbank on south side of Lost Lake precludes getting to the east side.

Bond Pass, Dorothy Lake Pass, and Brown Bear Pass are all snow-free.

Bottom line- if you want to go everywhere anytime , bring micro-spikes or crampons.