2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Post by Matthewkphx »

Having just read Jimr's post about Sabrina Basin around 7/1 I'm thinking about what conditions might be like there for my 7/21 permit. Looking into my noob-level crystal ball I think it will be wet as heck and a total mosquitopocalypse. I'm guessing Midnight/Hungry Packer/Moonlight will be accessible at that point without worrying about snow bridges or significant navigational challenges. Does that sound about right?

I'm wondering if I should still go on this trip. I have another permit for Sabrina the first week of September which will be a much more pleasant trip. I know rlown will advocate for September over July. I'm definitely 100% going in September. The question is do I go in July as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've also got a 7/28 permit for Piute Pass for a couple of days of poking around Humphreys Basin. That should be mosquito hell and wet feet too, right?

Please advise if this is not the correct forum for my post. Is this type of conversation supposed to happen over in Backpacking/Hiking/Camping?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Matt,
I live in LA and the air sucks right now, so it's all a question of relatives: would I rather be breathing smog, or bugs? If you get some netting to keep the bugs out of your face and cover other skin, you'll probably be OK. But there will be bugs, and plenty of water, but it's so gorgeous up there, you might not care. Then again, I know folks who would freak out in conditions that are likely to occur up there right now, so be prepared.
cg
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Yep I have a pretty good system for keeping the mosquitos off me :)

You have a good way of thinking about it. Stay at home in the 110° heat or go deal with some bugs in cooler weather with great views...
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted

Post by shtinkypuppie »

New Army Pass has about 30 feet of steep snow at the very top, no cornice, good boot track. The gravelly chute about 15 feet east of the main trail is snow-free and relatively easy.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
Backpacklifer
Topix Novice

Post by Backpacklifer »

Hi all,

I'm heading up the 395 Friday and want to grab a walk up for one of the trailheads near Bishop. I'm thinking Mono Pass into Pioneer Basin or McGee Creek up to the lakes and beyond if possible. Has anyone been up the Mono Pass Trail? I know there will be snow Just wondering when the snow begins and if the snow travel up to the pass is a boots only option, or if more tech equipment is needed. I have experience hiking over snowy passes. I plan on following the Summit lake outlet down to Golden and then Golden's outlet to the junction for the basin. Also wondering if there is dry camping at the lower lakes.

Happy trails, Backpacklifer
Alpinista55
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Alpinista55 »

Planning to cross Haeckel Col on Aug. 10th. Based on the TR for Sabrina Basin in this thread, I'm thinking that there will still be considerable snow on the North side of the col. Any thoughts on whether axes and microspikes might still be a good idea? We normally backpack in trail runners, with trekking poles. Pack weight around 28 lbs.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Alpinista55 wrote:
Any thoughts on whether axes and microspikes might still be a good idea? We normally backpack in trail runners, with trekking poles. Pack weight around 28 lbs.
I too wear trail runners and carry trekking poles, but this year you may consider axe and microspikes for the climb up to the pass, there will be a significant amount of snow, unless we receive several waves of precipitation, from the monsoonal flow, next wave arriving this weekend.
Personally would not take them, would just time the crossing, after the snow softens up a bit during the morning, but everyone has different comfort levels, and if you need to ask, it might be a good idea to take them along. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

To reply to the general topic of Current snow conditions, but for the Central, not Eastern Sierra, a friend and I and our dogs just returned from 8 days rambling around the Bear Creek/South San Joaquin watershed, and here's what we found:

The snow level/travel almost always began between 10,500 and 11,000 feet.
Examples: Bear Creek West Fork at Lou Beverly Lake 10,080' (base for climb of The Gables of Seven Gables) no snow left but rare patches. Just 400' up at Sandpiper Lake/Medley Lakes terrace it is more snow than not, on and all around those lakes. Sandpiper Lake (~10,500') is 75% covered in ice, and the big lakes up there- Three Island Lake, and Marie Lake. are still nearly totally iced over. Glassing the north side of Selden Pass (10860'), it looked to be all snow travel for at least the first half mile down.

BC East Fork: significant amounts of patchy snow along trail beginning at 10,500. The westernmost lake of the Seven Gables Lake chain is about 80% melted out- that is at 10,720', yet all the others of this chain are enclosed ice. This shows of course, the local variation due to site specific elements. The upper Seven Gables Lakes are held tighter in the canyon. The largest of the Bear Basin Lakes is Vee Lake at 11,163, and though wide open to the sun, it is nearly all iced over- just enough melted out at the outlet to "practice casting."
BC Hilgard Branch: Similar to what we found in the upper East Fork, with Lake Italy at 11,202 also all ice except for the shallow outlet casting and cursing area.
That is just a small snapshot of snow conditions in one area, at one point in time (up there just yesterday- 7/11) but I hope it helps. I won't begin to describe the river waters because they are so changeable due to temperature, rainfall, and other variables; likewise, the snow conditions on the mountains are too various to finely categorize, but interestingly, a brave soul could traipse up the East Face of Seven Gables on all rock- no snow- to 13,000,' and all the chutes of "The Gables" were near enough to snow free not to matter, and those face mostly to the northeast.
I'll include a few photos shortly, and a full trip report soon after. Best of luck out there.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Report Conditions Only

Post by maverick »

Please use this thread to report backcountry conditions, please do not use this thread to ask questions about conditions in specific areas. Thanks :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

*Current Snow Conditions for the Central Sierra

A few photos of the Bear Creek Watershed, July 6-11/17:
186.JPG
Frozen Lake Italy, with Mts. Dade and BC Spire left and right of center.
236.JPG
Big Bear Lake at 11,440' in Bear Basin, seen from the north, coming down from White Bear Pass. Mt. Gemini right of center.
267.JPG
"Bear" in Bear Basin, with Vee Lake frozen but still beautiful at 11,163. Mt. Seven Gables center right.
359.JPG
Looking down on the West Fork of Bear Cr. from the lower slopes of "the Gables." Sandpiper Lake in the foreground now looks to be only 50% iced over- must've melted 25% since I first described it this morning! Mt. Hooper at center, Marie Lake in the distance, in front of Mt Hooper, iced over at 10,576'. Selden Pass just out of the picture in the upper left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.