New snowfall record

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

New snowfall record

Post by Hobbes »

Mammoth just passed 182.5" inches so far this January, surpassing the old record for the month set back in 1995:

Over the last 24 hours another 18" of new snowfall has accumulated. It is officially the snowiest January on record, and its still coming down. Heavy snow is expected through the day, and right into the weekend. Be advised wind and storm conditions will impact resort operations.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/m ... nd-weather

With an additional (minimum) 24-36" inches expected before the current storm rolls out by Tues, the season total will stand at over 315" before January is even concluded. To put this into perspective, the heaviest snowfall year on record (2010-11) finished with 669" inches, with the season total at the end of January '11 coming in at 335".
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Re: New snowfall record

Post by Hobbes »

Howard Sheckter says that 4-5' (48-60") is expected from this storm - in town. If the mountain only comes in with that amount, it will blow past the year-to-date totals through January for the heaviest snowfall year recorded during 2010-2011:

http://mammothweather.com/
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by alpinemike »

Up here in South Lake Tahoe I just hit 112 inches for the month which I'm fairly certain is a January Record. With an expected 2-3 feet in my area we will easily break the average for the entire season in January.

When they ask for snow.. they never truly realize that Mother Nature can give them way more than they ever bargained for. I was snowed in in the last storm cycle and I'm pretty sure I will be tomorrow. But I love it and wouldn't want anything else! :D
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

January is shattering snowfall records with another 17" of new snow bringing our month total at Main Lodge to 200"! The current storm has brought up to 5 feet of snow across the mountain with MUCH more to come through Monday.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/m ... nd-weather

Mammoth is now at 304" inches for the year - only 58" short of last year's season total of 362". The new storm hitting tonight through Monday could easily drop another 50-60". So, not only will the snow levels exceed last year's season total by 1/24, it will also exceed the 335" YTD totals through January for the 2010-2011 record of 669" inches for the season.

PS Andy is trying to get me to come along on some winter hikes, but I'm still holding out for spring.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

36" - 48" more expected today...stay tuned!
snowday.jpg
home.jpg
vons.jpg
vons cornice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Just saw that Jan 2017 not only surpassed the Jan record but became the all time largest month ever for Mammoth and the month isn't over. Wonder if they have started loading up and trucking the snow out of town yet?

Looking at previous years, February and especially March can have some impressive storms and totals. If it really adds up, some areas in the Sierra might be winter like through most of the summer, similar to 1995 and 2011.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Snowtrout wrote: Wonder if they have started loading up and trucking the snow out of town yet?
Since last Friday, these huge white hopper things (TYKO toys?) appeared from somewhere...the constant snowplow roar...a futile attempt, trying to move slabs/mountains of snow where there just is no room to put it.
20'+ snow-blower walls now common in town - a steady semi-wet snow - hasn't stopped since early AM.
Awesome!
Mountainman who swims with trout
bigpiney
Topix Novice

Post by bigpiney »

That picture of the cornice on Von's scares me. Don't want to be walking near that thing.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Great photos markskor, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

That picture of the cornice on Von's scares me. Don't want to be walking near that thing.

I was thinking the same thing. Next thing ya know, people will have to be roped up to go grocery shopping. :\

Can't wait for spring.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Mammoth Lakes pics remind me of the late winter 1986 images.

Yesterday Saturday since SR88 was closed up to Kirkwood that I have a season pass at, drove up past Sonora to Dodge Ridge Ski Resort that I had not skied since the 80s. There was snow down to the east end of Sonora at 2500 feet so exceptionally low snow level. They'd received 23 inches over the previous 24 hours and 66 inches over 48 so I enjoyed my best deep powder skiing day in over a decade. Was so deep in many places my ski poles stuck fully down into snow would not bottom out. Am thinking of taking Tuesday off to get some more after the current big storm wanes.

Some small fir trees looked like snow cones: