Snow in the Sierra makes summer look like more like winter

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpeg
ASSOCIATED PRESS BY ASSOCIATED PRESS | September 13, 2016, 12:44PM | Updated 40 minutes ago.

KIRKWOOD — Snow in the Sierra made Tuesday morning look more like winter than the tail end of summer.

The San Francisco Chronicle (http://bit.ly/2cj32Q1) reports light snow fell at Kirkwood Mountain Resort and Sierra-at-Tahoe near Lake Tahoe, where a cold front sent temperatures dipping into the 30s.

National Weather Service Meteorologist Brian O'Hara says there was a dusting of snow in the mountains and at Kirkwood, which sits above 7,800 feet.

Closer to the San Francisco Bay Area, light sprinkles were reported in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

___

Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Snow in the Sierra makes summer look like more like wint

Post by TahoeJeff »

There was snow on Mt. Tallac this a.m.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow in the Sierra makes summer look like more like wint

Post by SSSdave »

I came back over Bishop Pass at 11990 feet Sunday when the initial part of the current trough moved across the Sierra. Crest areas had showery clouds and a bit of graupel snow was landing as I descended the pass in mid 40F temps. That night I camped near Margaret Lake and it was quite windy. Monday morning was chilly and windy with continuous cloud formation at the crest as I hiked out.

Before my trip on Wednesday the long range NWS forecast was showing crest areas might receive the season's first snow dusting on Tuesday and indeed that has occurred. At this time mid September quite a number of groups are still backpacking at crest levels so we ought get some trip reports of people caught in the snow. Main issues will not be stuck in snow but rather those foolish t-shirt and shorts types that didn't bother with weather forecasts and are not prepared for cold and snow.

David