Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake Question

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
gbrebes
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake Question

Post by gbrebes »

Good Evening Everyone,

I am a new member and backpacking novice. My daughter and I are hiking to Minaret Lake beginning at Devil's Postpile starting Tuesday, July 19th. Our first plan was to hike in, stay a few nights and hike out the same trail. I am now considering making a loop trip via Cecile Lake, Iceberg Lake, Ediza Lake (stay overnight) then hike out the River Trail to Agnew Meadow TH. I have been reading a lot about the steep section from Minaret to Cecile and then Cecile to Iceberg. My question is, is there some way to get an accurate up do date account of the presence of snow on these sections? I am trying to assess the necessity of buying ice axes for our trip.

Thank you in advance for any help you all may be able to offer,

Gilbert
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake Question

Post by maverick »

Hi Gilbert,

Welcome to HST!
Would highly recommend that you do not attempt to do this hike, it is not meant for novices, there are some steep sections, a lot of loose rock, and some route finding involved besides the steep snowy section. Using an ice axe and crampons require you to be knowledgeable in how to use them safely to self arrest, one does not use these tools by reading or on the fly, they can seriously injure or kill you if improperly used.
Stick to the trails and be prepared for a lot of mosquitoes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gbrebes
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake Question

Post by gbrebes »

Thank you very much Maverick for the reply. We have head nets for mosquitos, as well as repellant. Maybe a full body suit is necessary? I understand they can get through tech shirts and pants.

Gilbert