snow/trail reports?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Doug
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

snow/trail reports?

Post by Doug »

Doug, here.
I'm new to the forum (as of 6/29). We are headed out for three/four days of hiking, camping and fishing starting from Maxson Trail Head at Courtright on the 1st. Does anyone one have information on snow levels? We hope to get to Rae and Fleming lakes - probably in two days, then ???I I am a level 2 hiker in the Sierra Nevada. My wife and I completed the Camino de Santiago in Spain last fall (500 miles over 40 days) - a very different kind of trek. This trip will be with my son. I welcome any responses. I'll post a TR when we get back on the 5th. Thanks in advance.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: snow/trail reports?

Post by AlmostThere »

Did you look at the other threads on conditions reports?

I doubt you will have a problem with snow. Perhaps mosquitos -- they are booming big time right now. That route does have a water crossing and recent reports mention very bad mosquitos at Post Corral Creek.
Doug
Topix Newbie

Post by Doug »

@AlmostThere - yes, read the threads and am prepared for mosquito battles. Thanks for your input. d
Doug
Topix Newbie

Post by Doug »

TRIP REPORT
Hello Hikers. We hiked to Hobler, Fleming and Rae Lakes (from Courtright Reservoir) between 1 and 4 July. No snow to report and its gotten hotter since. The hike up the hill is still as strenuous as ever, but it was clear. We rock-skipped a couple of creeks, but no creeks very high. Fish were biting at Fleming, not so much at Rae and Hobler. Mosquitos were plentiful, but if one picks where one stands they can be avoided. Deet highly recommended. Some reports from other hikers on their way down from higher up said mosquitos were in swarms. We didn't encounter that.