Old and New Army Passes

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Old and New Army Passes

Post by oldranger »

I'd appreciate any new info on conditions on both new and old army passes. The closer to July 11 the better as that will be the last date I can monitor the forum before the July 13 start. I am aware of the recent posts but the closer to departure the better.

Thanks
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Old and New Army Passes

Post by maverick »

PM sent
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

Spent time at Cottonwood Lakes, and climbed Mt. Langley on July 2. We talked to several people who used Old Army Pass. All said ice axe, and crampons were needed. We scouted the pass, and it looked like a long snow/ice field was covering the higher portions of the trail. Since we didn't have the equipment, we decided on the longer, safer, New Army Pass.

Just at the very top of New Army, there's a section of hardened, glacier like snow covering the trail. If you go to the end of the final switchback, there's no way to get up over it. However, a short cut/detour has been created about 3/4 of the way on the final switchback. Some people have made rock piles to designate the detour. We drew an arrow in the dirt pointing the way. At that point slippery stair steps have been created through the snow. Chains or micro spikes would be helpful, but I made it without. There's also a snow free place to the right, but it's a class 3, short climb. Once you get above that first snow area, you can scoot in between more snow and rocks to make the final climb to the top of the pass. Make sure you orient yourself to find that exact spot if you return that way. On my return, I chose the class 3 descent, albeit slowly, as the snow had become even more slippery. One person slipped, and did a rear end glissade to the bottom of the snow. The other fun thing about the New Army Pass area was that Bighorn sheep were seen on the high plateau.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Brian
Thanks for the update. My IPAD died so I missed your report though. The short patch of snow was still there on the 13th but was easily negotiated.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!