Army pass conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rogler
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Army pass conditions

Post by rogler »

Heading up through this area next weekend to Crabtree. Is there still a lot of snow? Better to go through Cottonwood pass?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Army pass conditions

Post by maverick »

Hi Rogler,

Welcome to HST!
Heading up through this area next weekend to Crabtree. Is there still a lot of snow? Better to go through Cottonwood pass?
From Whitney Zone:
I was up in that area on June 5th. I did not go up New Army Pass, but it seems passible. I just did a conditioning day climb up Army Pass (from HM), summited Cirque Peak, and back to HM. There was snow at the last switch back on New Army Pass when I was looking down at high lake. If you are going to Langley, I would climb up Army Pass. It's closer to the summit and a great climb. You'll need Ice axe and crampons for sure up Army and Langley. Very little snow on the plateau above Army before Langley ascent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I just finished a trip through this area. I went over New Army Pass on Sunday June 12th. It is mostly snow-free except at the very top switchback where an ice ax and at least micro-spikes are necessary. I looked at New Army the day before and it had a lot of snow on it and I would certainly not advise going over it unless you are experienced with steep snow travel. It also snowed at least 4 inches on Sunday.. Most of which melted if it fell on bare ground but if it fell on snow it may have stuck and accumulated even more.

Cottonwood Pass is completely snow free.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rogler
Topix Newbie

Post by rogler »

what type of weather can we expect this time of year?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 2QHnknn-70

Every year is different. For example we just had an unusual late winter storm dropping a few inches of snow. I use the NWS web forecast (link above) to check on weather. You can zoom in and click on the area you are interested in. These forecasts change as new information is obtained. Generally they are accurate for a few days, less so after five days.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Anybody use OAP recently?
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
MarchingOn
Topix Novice

Post by MarchingOn »

Headed up to the area next weekend 9/30 - 10/2. Can update for conditions when I return.
Mdmustang302
Topix Novice

Post by Mdmustang302 »

Summited Langley via old army on sept 23(yesterday).. Not a drop of snow left.. But getting cold at night..
"..The mountains are calling, and I must go..." -John Muir
MarchingOn
Topix Novice

Post by MarchingOn »

MarchingOn wrote:Headed up to the area next weekend 9/30 - 10/2. Can update for conditions when I return.
Weekend was cold and clear. So was Langley. Old Army Pass was completely clear too.