HST, Kaweah Gap and Snow Above Hamilton

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

HST, Kaweah Gap and Snow Above Hamilton

Post by Saltydog »

Some folks at Whitneyzone are asking about beta on HST. Any recent trips above Upper Hamilton would be greatly appreciated, especially the snow immediately east of the tunnel above Upper Hamilton. Second in importance would be condition approaching and over Kaweah Gap. Thanks
noelleswildlife
Topix Newbie

Re: HST, Kaweah Gap and Snow Above Hamilton

Post by noelleswildlife »

I just completed the trail solo and posted a quick report on the conditions (see below). It's passable but there are definitely dangerous places - two snow bridges with waterfalls running behind between UHL and Precipice as well as a sketching looking, large cornice near Mt Stewart just before Kaweah Gap. I used technical crampons and an ice axe but did not use pro although in retrospect I maybe should have. Each individual or group will have to consider how much risk they are willing to take on. Although conditions are are always changing and it could be much different than 5 days ago, I'll post photos later tonight to give you a clearer image of your specific area of concern. Hope this helps. Good luck!

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 34&t=14449
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Re: HST, Kaweah Gap and Snow Above Hamilton

Post by Saltydog »

Yes, thanks. Hope it starts a discussion to keep exaclty this beta current