Dinkey Lakes Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
eewarren
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Dinkey Lakes Conditions

Post by eewarren »

I am planning a day hike for this coming weekend, May 30th. Planning on leaving from Dinkey Lakes/willow Meadow trailhead early in the morning, and day hiking through to Courtwright Reservoir (max elev. 9770). If anyone has recently been to the area or is familiar with the current snow conditions and could provide any insight it would be greatly appreciated! I have experience with high elevation snow hiking but am taking my father with me and would like to avoid pushing him past his limits. Thank you in advance!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dinkey Lakes Conditions

Post by AlmostThere »

A friend got their truck stuck in a snowbank trying to get to that trailhead. I intended to call to see if the road was clear all the way up to Willow Meadow tomorrow -- it hasn't been. With this past weekend's storm there are 2-6 additional inches of snow up there. And the road to Courtright continues to be closed.
eewarren
Topix Newbie

Post by eewarren »

Thank you for the update! I have been there quite a few times early season, if there is snow at the trailhead the pass near rock lake will not be fun. I guess I will have to be patient and wait for a later date. We have been spoiled the last few years with the low snowpack, but coming from a farming family the extra snow is good for a change.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Last weekend I was in the area, not all the way up dinkey creek. But yes no access to courtright or kaiser pass. More snow expected. P.s. rancheria was blocked by a fallen tree. Not sure how close to the trail head