Current conditions on Mt. Dana?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
flyzapper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Current conditions on Mt. Dana?

Post by flyzapper »

Has anybody been up to Tioga Pass recently? I'm taking a trip to Yosemite in early June, and I was thinking of doing a day hike of Mt. Dana. What are the snow conditions like? I assume it will be more of a snow field hike/climb than scree scramble during early June this year.
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Current conditions on Mt. Dana?

Post by dougieb »

I was just up there last weekend and went backcountry skiing toward False White Mountain (near saddlebag). Quite a few people were skiing up Dana. There's snow up there now but no telling what it'll be like in 3 weeks from now.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Was up there the past two weekends, still lots of snow, but melting fast. Here is Dana from Tioga Peak, on Friday.

Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
flyzapper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by flyzapper »

ExploreABitMore wrote:Was up there the past two weekends, still lots of snow, but melting fast. Here is Dana from Tioga Peak, on Friday.
Thanks for posting that picture! There's less snow than I expected, but the forecast this week calls for a few more inches at higher elevations. How compact was the snow when you were traveling? Any postholing?
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

The prior week I had gone up Mt Warren and was pretty glad I brought snowshoes for the way back, quite a bit of post-holing otherwise. Likewise, the next day in the Mono Pass area. On Tioga Peak the following week, I was either able to avoid the snow, or it was pretty well consolidated (actually, it was so cold, it was still mostly frozen-hard all day!)
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/