Micro TR: Pine Creek day hike May 14

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Micro TR: Pine Creek day hike May 14

Post by Ska-T »

Sorry, no photos.

Yesterday, May 14, I hiked the (roughly) 7 mi round trip from the Pine Creek pack station (7,400 ft) to Pine Lake (9942 ft) and back. There was a considerable amount of snow on the upper 1/3 of the route, although it did not present any significant technical problems. Much of the snow could be bypassed on rocks or covered only 80% of the old mining road leaving room to walk. A reasonably fit person with a backpack could hike up to the lake and enjoy a night of camping. Poles and gaiters are recommended. The obvious camp site below the lake at the log crossing and on the north side of the creek was completely snow free. 2/3 to 3/4 of the lake was covered with a thin layer of ice.

On May 12 I day hiked from the McGee Creek trailhead. I was only able to get slightly beyond the stream crossing above the beaver ponds (second stream crossing) before snow and large amounts of water running down the trail turned me around.
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Micro TR: Pine Creek day hike May 14

Post by ndwoods »

Thanks!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, thank you. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
snevill
Topix Novice

Post by snevill »

good info, thank you.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

You are welcome. I forgot to mention that I saw six Big Horn Sheep within 0 to 0.25 mi from the McGee Creek trailhead. There was a group of 4 and a group of 2 high on the south canyon wall.
Last edited by Ska-T on Mon May 16, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I forgot to mention that I saw six Big Horn Sheep within 0 to 0.25 mi from the McGee Creek trailhead. They was a group of 4 and a group of 2 high on the south canyon wall.
Now that would have been great to see a photo of.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dematson
Topix Novice

Post by dematson »

Ska-T wrote:You are welcome. I forgot to mention that I saw six Big Horn Sheep within 0 to 0.25 mi from the McGee Creek trailhead. There was a group of 4 and a group of 2 high on the south canyon wall.
Was that outbound from the trailhead 0.25 miles or 0.25 miles prior to arriving at the trailhead driving? This sounds like a group from the Convict Creek herd unit.
Last edited by dematson on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dematson
Topix Novice

Post by dematson »

Ska-T wrote:You are welcome. I forgot to mention that I saw six Big Horn Sheep within 0 to 0.25 mi from the McGee Creek trailhead. There was a group of 4 and a group of 2 high on the south canyon wall.
Here is a photograph of a group I encountered up close and personal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Wow, great shot!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix