Closures for Peregrine Falcon Protection
The peregrine falcon is a fully protected species in California and a special status species in Yosemite due to its sensitivity to disturbance during the nesting season. To protect this species, the superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating peregrine nesting cliffs as areas closed to visitor use, including climbing and slack-lining activities, until peregrine chicks have fledged and dispersed from those areas in 2016. By order of the superintendent of Yosemite National Park and under authority of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1.5(a) and Section (a)(1): The following areas are identified as cliffs closed to visitor use, including climbing activities, beginning March 1, 2016 and remaining in effect until July 15, 2016, or until further notice:
- Arch Rock Area – Lower Merced River Gorge. Closure includes all routes from Anticipation east to Grokin, Arch Rock Pinnacle, and above Arch Rock's main wall, from Cross Country Crack east to but not including Juliette's Flake. All routes from Pass or Fail west including Now, Omakara and Later remain open.
- B.O.L.T. Wall – Immediately southwest of Leaning Tower. Closure includes all routes on the B.O.L.T. Wall.
- El Capitan, Southeast Face – Closure includes all big wall routes between and including New Dawn, Reticent Wall, Wall of Early Morning Light, and Mescalito. The first 10 pitches of the closed routes, from the base of El Capitan, remain open.
- Fairview Dome, West Face – Closure includes all routes between and including Heart of Stone to Lucky Streaks. All other routes remain open.
- Hetch Hetchy – Closed area includes Wapama Cliff (immediately west of Wapama Falls).
- Medlicott Dome – Closure includes all routes between and including Shambles to Bogey Meets Mr. Porcupine.
- Mt. Broderick – West of Liberty Cap. Closure includes the entire SE face of Mt. Broderick opposite Liberty Cap.
- Rhombus Wall – Above Ahwahnee Meadow. Closure includes all routes west of Super Slide to the Ahwahnee Ramps, including all routes on the Rhombus Wall.
- The Rostrum – Lower Merced Canyon. Closure includes climbing routes on all sides of the Rostrum formation. Super Nova and the Jungle Gym area remain open. Slacklining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
Nest sites will be monitored to provide current information on nesting status and to ensure prompt re-opening of these areas. Closures are subject to change based on current nesting status. Your cooperation in complying with these temporary restrictions is greatly appreciated.
The designation will remain in place until rescinded.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... osures.htm