Conditions around Thousand Island During June?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions around Thousand Island During June?

Post by alpinemike »

So I went into Ediza via the River Trail from Agnew Meadows and then up the JMT past Shadow Lake. I would highly recommend at least hiking by Shadow Lake and soaking in all the amazing views. From Ediza I dayhiked up to Iceberg and then took the JMT to Thousand Island. From Thousand Island I took the High Trail (PCT) back out to Agnew. I definitely wouldn't miss an opportunity taking the High Trail since the views are unforgettable.

Snow cover was fairly minimal most of the way. I remember there was snow on the north facing slopes into both Thousand Island and Garnet especially at that little pass right before Garnet Lake on the JMT. But the slopes aren't steep and there was plenty of foot traffic through there. The much more significant snow was from Ediza to Iceberg. There was no trail to follow.. It was just all snow. You will probably have a mix of that this year.. Although you might have more trail from Ediza at the lower parts and still snow toward the top. Just depends on how quickly it starts to really warm up. Route finding though is fairly straightforward so I wouldn't worry too much.

Both Ediza and Iceberg have epic views. Although something about Ediza really spoke to me.. and the camping there on the North shore is magnificent. The trail follows along the East and South shores but it's possible to cross the creek a little below the outlet and stay on the Northern side of the shoreline. It's a minor talus walk but for me the views were definitely worth it. Or you can just walk around the lake and enjoy the views on all sides.
DSC_5316.jpg
DSC_5370.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Now I can't decide if I want to stay at Ediza or Iceberg ](*,)
Camp at Ediza and do a day hike up to Iceberg Lake in the morning, before any breeze kicks in so you get that mirror reflection and the first sun rays hit the ridge between Clyde and Eichorn Minaret, and touches the tips of Rice and Bedayan Minaret. If you just go earlier on a breeze free day, you will have a feeling of being in natures church as you sit on the boulder at the northern end of the lake.

Yes, the views from Shadow Lake are well worth using the Shadow Creek Trail, as you get to the eastern end of the lake, at the outlet, cross it, and follow the shoreline to a huge boulder, the views across the lakes with the mountains as a back drop is beautiful.
The High Trail has some epic views of Shadow Lake in the foreground, with the creek flowing from it, and the entire Minarets and Banner/Ritter on the skyline. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

KevinDo wrote:
maverick wrote:Near the northern end of Iceberg is sublime, campsites at Cecile are :thumbsdown: .

PS By the way, our HST Meet-ups are a lot of fun, you have to attended one to make up your own mind, and not base it on someone who has never attended one. :nod:
Perfect! Makes Day 2 a little bit shorter. I was thinking of making a tad bit shorter by bushwhacking over the saddle south of garnet instead of reconnecting with the JMT. If the terrain's nice, I might be able to shave off 2 miles ish.

Here's my idea (the hashed trail is the JMT)

Hmm..I will definitely reconsider. Its 7/28 correct? Gotta figure out how I'll make my way out there. Maybe a multi day trip from Nelson...
Two years ago I crossed over the saddle south of Garnet via the two tarns east of point 3627. It was doable and pretty but certainly did not shave any time off the route--taking the trail the long way would have been a faster trip. If you go this way, you drop SSW from the larger tarn and follow the small green band down the steep slope down to the stream bed that drains from Nydiver. Somewhere in that vicinity you will probably pick up the switchbacks of the old trail to Nydiver that is no longer marked on the maps, and will take you down to the Shadow Creek trail that goes to Ediza. It was slightly tricky finding my way up from Garnet to the tarns--curving around 3627 seems to take forever. But the greatest danger is taking the wrong route down from the large tarn. Don't go east or SE or you will descend the wrong drainage and cliff out. The SSW route down the green band is steep but not particularly dangerous.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Just got back from this trip and had a blast! There was still a decent amount of snow around the western portion of TI lake and over the garnet/ti Pass. Will be writing up a trip report soon! Thanks for all the insights folks!