2016 Mosquito Reports | High Sierra Topix  

2016 Mosquito Reports

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Emigrant 7/11-7/14

Postby bwang » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 pm

Quick tour of many of the lakes of southern and central region. Crabtree TH, Pine Valley, Grouse Lk to Louse Canyon, Rosasco Lk all 1 during the day. Camped at Pingree Lk - a "low" 2; Hyatt, Big, Kole and Leighton - 1; Karl's a low 2; Wood Lk, Cow Meadow 2-3; Camped at Letora Lk - 2; Huckleberry, horse meadow, Maxwell, blackbird and Emigrant Lk - all 2-3 during the day; Camped at Buck Lakes - 3; Deer, Jewelry, Gem, Puite and Camp all seemed like a 1 but we were walking pretty fast.

bwang
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Piute Pass 7/15-16

Postby skyliner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:45 pm

A solid 2 from trailhead to the pass and back. Breezes and keeping moving helped considerably during the day, but I picked up a few bites at the car while getting ready before I had a chance to put on repellent. Dusk/dawn at Muriel Lake were irritating with many skeeters around but few actually biting.
skyliner
Topix Newbie

Bishop Pass Trail - Long Lake/Spearhead Lake

Postby rayfound » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:02 am

Spent most of the day at spearhead - Was not present early am or into evening, but mosquitos were 3-4... pretty heavy whenever the wind settled. DEET mostly worked, though I reapplied every couple hours.

Probably 30+bites in my back through my shirt, + some on legs and arms. Pretty bad I guess.
rayfound
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports

Postby rlown » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:26 am

I think you need a different shirt solution. :unibrow:

I tend to wear an undershirt and then a log sleeved shirt over that. They are lightweight, so not hot, but the combined thickness and action of the shirts keep them out of my skin.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Jennie Lakes Wilderness 6/15-6/16

Postby makejelone » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:06 pm

Treated my clothes, pack and bug bivy with permethrin and applied DEET to skin. Flys and mosquitos weren't really put off, but I only got 1 bite. 2 others I was with both got bitten at least once.

Trail from Big Meadow to Jennie lake and the lake itself: 3

Trail to surrounding Boulder Creek: 2

Campsite near Boulder Creek: 3 (Was completely fine in my bivy, no bugs on it at all most likely from treatment with permethrin)

Trail back to Big Meadow: 2

We didn't stop at Weaver Lake so cant say anything about the bugs there.
makejelone
Topix Newbie

Postby rayfound » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:30 pm

rlown wrote:I think you need a different shirt solution. :unibrow:

I tend to wear an undershirt and then a log sleeved shirt over that. They are lightweight, so not hot, but the combined thickness and action of the shirts keep them out of my skin.

It was just a cotton tee... I should have just sprayed with DEET but the spray didn't work well. That being said, it has been a long time since I have had a really bad mosquito day... Guess I've been lucky in recent years...
rayfound
Topix Regular

Sabrina Basin 7/16–7/17

Postby Matthewkphx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:28 pm

I'd call Blue lake a 2.5+ and then it got much worse as I got higher. I spent the night of 7/16 at Midnight lake where it was easily in the 3–4 range every time the wind died down. I bailed two nights early because of how heavy they were. Not fun.

I will never backpack in the Sierra during mosquito season again. That sucked. Last summer I did the JMT SOBO starting on 6/15 and we hit only a couple tough spots (Sunrise, Thousand Island Lake and Tully Hole) but the rest was fine. I'm realizing the quantity of water last summer vs. this summer makes a HUGE difference.
Matthewkphx
Topix Acquainted

Emigrant 7/15 to 7/17

Postby squirrel » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Camped on the west side of Big Lake and the south side of Deer Lake. I'd say mosquitoes were a 1 for Big Lake and a 2 for Deer Lake.
squirrel
Topix Novice

Humphrey's Basin 7/15-7/17

Postby MichaelRPetrick » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 am

Hiked in over Piute Pass 7/15:

Loch Leven - Brief spell of 5 when in the trees, otherwise 1 when windy ( but we did not camp here, so...)
trail along Piute Creek below treeline - 4 to 5
Lobe Pass - 1
Lobe Lake - 4
Tomahawk Lake - 2
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Matthewkphx » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 am

Just curious... How long does it typically take for the mosquitos to die off? These areas that are at 3 or 4 right now will be down to a 1 in maybe two weeks, right?
Matthewkphx
Topix Acquainted

Kings Canyon, 7/14 - 7/16

Postby awhite4777 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 am

Starting from Roads End, followed the SHR to Upper Basin, then returned to Roads End via the JMT/PCT and Woods Creek trail.

In general: Mosquitoes were very persistent along the Middle Fork Kings drainage; more so than along the South Fork Kings, but some of this could be due to a change in weather (increased breeze) after we traversed Frozen Lake Pass. Headnets were required for all stops > 60 seconds in the Middle Fork drainage, including atop passes (save for Frozen Lake Pass). Headnets were also required when on the move if the breeze was a gentle tailwind. DEET on exposed skin was highly effective, and netting was effective when stationary, but was required in order to eat and rest.

Copper Creek Trail: 3-4
Grouse Lake to Frozen Lake Pass: 3-4.5 (varied depending on time of day and breeze, if any)
Upper Basin: 1-2
South Fork Kings to Pinchot Pass: 1-2 (1 above 11,000 feet)
Pinchot Pass to Woods Creek Crossing: 3 (we were along this segment at dusk)
Woods Creek Crossing to Roads End: 2
awhite4777
Topix Newbie

Emigrant Wilderness, Gem Lake 7/16-17

Postby jwill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:43 pm

No bugs out during the day during the loop out from Crabtree.

Maybe a 1 or 2 at sunset when the breeze died down. They were buzzing a bit and some long sleeves and pants prevented most problems. No bites for me.
jwill
Topix Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Conditions Reports and Information