2016 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Humphrey's Basin 7/15-7/17

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

Hiked in over Piute Pass 7/15:

Loch Leven - Brief spell of 5 when in the trees, otherwise 1 when windy ( but we did not camp here, so...)
trail along Piute Creek below treeline - 4 to 5
Lobe Pass - 1
Lobe Lake - 4
Tomahawk Lake - 2
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports

Post by Matthewkphx »

Just curious... How long does it typically take for the mosquitos to die off? These areas that are at 3 or 4 right now will be down to a 1 in maybe two weeks, right?
awhite4777
Topix Novice

Kings Canyon, 7/14 - 7/16

Post by awhite4777 »

Starting from Roads End, followed the SHR to Upper Basin, then returned to Roads End via the JMT/PCT and Woods Creek trail.

In general: Mosquitoes were very persistent along the Middle Fork Kings drainage; more so than along the South Fork Kings, but some of this could be due to a change in weather (increased breeze) after we traversed Frozen Lake Pass. Headnets were required for all stops > 60 seconds in the Middle Fork drainage, including atop passes (save for Frozen Lake Pass). Headnets were also required when on the move if the breeze was a gentle tailwind. DEET on exposed skin was highly effective, and netting was effective when stationary, but was required in order to eat and rest.

Copper Creek Trail: 3-4
Grouse Lake to Frozen Lake Pass: 3-4.5 (varied depending on time of day and breeze, if any)
Upper Basin: 1-2
South Fork Kings to Pinchot Pass: 1-2 (1 above 11,000 feet)
Pinchot Pass to Woods Creek Crossing: 3 (we were along this segment at dusk)
Woods Creek Crossing to Roads End: 2
jwill
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Emigrant Wilderness, Gem Lake 7/16-17

Post by jwill »

No bugs out during the day during the loop out from Crabtree.

Maybe a 1 or 2 at sunset when the breeze died down. They were buzzing a bit and some long sleeves and pants prevented most problems. No bites for me.
papercup
Topix Acquainted

Humphrey's Basin 7/16-7/17

Post by papercup »

Looks like there were a few of us out there.

Creek below treeline: 3-4
Loch Leven: 2
Cony Lake region: 1

Hiked from trailhead to Cony Lake region in the afternoon of 7/16; zero bites. Came back down early morning on 7/17; skeeters started biting like mad once I got below treeline. In general better than I anticipated.
Nylareau
Topix Newbie

Big Pine Creek North Fork 7/16-7/17

Post by Nylareau »

Majority of the trail- 2
First through Third Lakes- 2

Great trip with practically no bites. Must have been lucky due to a nice wind/breeze.

Trip Photos- https://www.flickr.com/gp/nylareau/6MY24i
ksenn
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bishop Lake-Dusy B.-Palisade B.-LeConte Cnyn: 7/15-7/18

Post by ksenn »

7/15 - Bishop Lake: 3-4
7/16 - Dusy Basin: 5 at lower lakes up to Knapsack Pass (literally had mosquitoes all over my camera lens...)
Palisade Basin: 3-4
LeConte Canyon: 2-3
7/17 - Dusy Basin (Lake ~11,345): 3, but breezy
7/18 - no skeeters in the morning on the way down to South Lake
HikerPaul
Topix Newbie

High Sierra Trail - 7/12 - 7/19/2016

Post by HikerPaul »

Hiked from Crescent Meadow out through the Whitney Portal from 7/12 - 7/19/2016 via the following campsites:

Buck Creek: + 2 moderate mosquitoes at dawn, few in the am
Hamilton Lake: + 1, then extremely heavy +5 clouds starting in the marshes past Precipice Lake through the Kaweah Gap down the valley for five miles. Get suited up before entering this region.
Moraine Lake: 1-2
Kern River Hot Springs: 1-2
Wallace Creek: + 5, needed two layers of clothing, bug netting, DEET and gloves. Hundreds congregated on my tent netting. All disappeared from 9:30 pm to 5 am when the temperature dropped into the 40's. Avoid this area if possible. Unpleasant!
Guitar Lake: 0, bug free.
Whitney Trail Camp: 0, bug free.
Mutant Sherpa Turtle
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Little Lakes Valley 7/19

Post by Mutant Sherpa Turtle »

Little Lakes Valley -- 7/19/2016
Rated a 5, unfortunately

We just got back from Little Lakes (7/19) after having to cut our trip short due to an ungodly amount of super aggressive skeeters

I've never experienced anything like it

We hiked in to Long Lake with our 2 kids, and split off the trail to the opposite side of the lake. Locals told us it would be more secluded there as opposed to setting up camp near the trail.

The runoff from the mountains made most of that side of the lake a swamp, what dry ground we traversed was literally rolling under our feet like a wave. However, we did find an idyllic meadow with trees for the hammocks, easy shore access, and privacy.

We set up camp at 10:30am and by 5pm we were tearing it down and covered head to toe in blood smears from annihilating countless bloodsuckers.

With our gear back on our shoulders, we headed back towards Heart Lake, hoping for relief. We found none. In the late day sun you could just see clouds of the little shits swarming down from the base of the mountains to the trail/water. I'd find 5-10 feasting on a couple square inches of flesh.

My wife got the worst of it and has been in bed all day. I'm a bit concerned. They lit her up right through her shirt.

We drove home 7 hours that night...and we NEVER bail on a backpacking/camping trip

Not sure if we just picked the exact wrong time of year, but even though it's up there with some of the most beautiful places I've been, I can't see going back if that's anywhere near normal conditions.

Sorry to be a bummer *itchitchitch*
Last edited by maverick on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
Mutant Sherpa Turtle
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports

Post by Mutant Sherpa Turtle »

image.jpeg
Sorry, meant to say Hi, as well - first post here, looking forward to tuning in.

My name is Jack, from San Diego.
Just started backpacking this year, typically with my awesome wife and our two kids (11 and 9).

We did the Pine Ridge Trail in Big Sur a month ago and LOVED it, even when I fell off the cliff side of the trail trying to let someone pass ;)

The attached pic is of our (temporary) campsite at Long Lake near Bishop/Mammoth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.