2016 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lillian/Lady/Standiford/Vandeberg/Chittenden Lakes, Ansel Ad

Post by AlmostThere »

Just got back from watching a group of ladies run out of repellent in Ansel Adams Wilderness. About a 2 at Lady Lake, heavier at the lower, greener lakes. I got by with a light application of DEET in the morning and another in the late afternoon. They were noticeably worse today, the last of our three days out there.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Emigrant Wilderness 6/23-6/26

Post by kpeter »

June 23-June 26 Southern Emigrant Wilderness

The mosquitoes get worse the higher in elevation you go--above 8000 especially. They can be especially bad from 7-9 am and 8-10 pm--as soon as the sun goes behind a ridge. They are also situationally bad near stagnant water at any elevation.

At Crabtree Trailhead and the lower part of Pine Valley all the way to Rosaco they were never more than a 2, in the evening at Rosaco they were a 3. Big Lake they were 2-3 at worse--I chose a dry camp with a great breeze, or they might have been worse. The worst mosquitoes of the trip were at Yellowhammer Camp--which is adjacent to swamp--at 8 in the morning. Definitely a 5. I can't imagine how Fred Leighton made a business taking people there. Five Acre Lake, Red Can Lake, Leighton, Karls, and the upper end of the Woods Lake trail were 4s during prime time and 2s in broad daylight. By today, however, the mosquitoes seemed to worsen on the way out. At 8 am coming through Groundhog meadow I had to put a bug bucket over my hat--easily a five.

I used Picaridin which seemed to work much as DEET does, except I am not convinced it lasts as long. I needed to reapply it more often.
Last edited by maverick on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite North Rim 6/24-6/26

Post by wildhiker »

June 24-26 Yosemite North Rim
Hiked the semi-loop from Porcupine Flat to North Dome, then west to Yosemite Falls, then up Yosemite Creek back to the highway. Elevations 7000 to 8000 feet. All generally south-facing.
Mosquitos were a level 1 at our two camps, both on exposed open granite areas with light breezes, one on the saddle north of North Dome, the other on a bluff above Yosemite Creek just off the trail. But mosquitos were a definite level 3 in the forested areas, especially damp areas, requiring liberal DEET application. Got numerous bites getting water in midday at Royal Arch Creek - probably the worst spot on our hike.
Last edited by maverick on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Sabrina Basin 6/25 - 6/27

Post by Rockyroad »

Blue Lake 2
Trail to upper basin until around 10,900’ ranged from 2-4
We stayed at Sailor Lake which had a nice breeze so ranged from 1-2
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Re: Sabrina Basin 6/25 - 6/27

Post by Matthewkphx »

Rockyroad wrote:Blue Lake 2
I'm headed up to this area on 7/15 for a couple nights. Would anyone take a guess about whether the mosquito situation is likely to be better, worse or the same in 2.5 weeks?
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Re: Sabrina Basin 6/25 - 6/27

Post by Rockyroad »

Matthewkphx wrote:
Rockyroad wrote:Blue Lake 2
I'm headed up to this area on 7/15 for a couple nights. Would anyone take a guess about whether the mosquito situation is likely to be better, worse or the same in 2.5 weeks?
I don't know how the situation will be in 2 weeks, but even in the level 4 areas, we were fine traveling with head nets, long sleeve shirts, and pants. I brought repellent but didn't use it. We got a few bites on our hands and legs when they were exposed while crossing streams. Good luck!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks, Rockyroad! That's very encouraging. :)
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

JMT (TM to Duck Pass Section) 6/19-6/23

Post by Snowtrout »

6/19-6/23, JMT from TM to Duck Pass. Bugs are out and ranged from a 1-4 depending on elevation. Wind blew from Donahue to Garnet keeping the biters away but had to eat dinner in the tent at Garnet when the wind died down. Gladys lake was the worst with biters during the day in the sun. Flying black ants were also all over Gladys. Reds Meadow campground was around a 2-3. At duck pass intersection, 1-2.
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Mineral King 6/26-6/29

Post by mountaineer »

Mineral King trailheads to 10,500' on Sawtooth Trail to Crystal Lakes and Monarch Lakes and Timber Gap: 0
Farewell Gap Trail: 0
Had reports from people coming off the Eagle Lake/Mosquito Lakes trail that sounded like a good solid 4-5 in the meadow areas.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re:Dusy Basin 6/24-30

Post by Wandering Daisy »

2 at South Lake trailhead 6/24, 3 6/30
0-1 6/24-6/28 at most locations, all elevations. Worse at the lower lakes (10,400). Mostly moderate winds kept mosquitoes down at the lower lakes. Very few to none above 11,200 feet.

6/29-30. Afternoon to 10PM rains on 6/28 got the mosquitoes going. 2-3 at lower Treasure Lake. 1-2 Bishop Lake to Long Lake.

At the end of the trip, I had to wear a head net or go inside the tent if I were not moving. Treasure Lakes seemed to have more wet terrain that favored mosquitoes. Upper Dusy Basin lakes had sufficient winds. Not the thick swarming phase yet, but it only takes a few minutes and they find you. Not a lot of biting, but a lot of in the face annoying.