2016 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

South Fork Big Pine Brainerd Lake 7/22-7/24

Post by hikerdude87 »

From the trailhead to the top of switchbacks: 0
-Didn't notice mosquitoes at all but we did start the hike at noon so heat might have kept them at bay.

From Willow Lake basin up to Brainerd Lake: 3
-At this point I had to put on the bug net and apply DEET.

Brainerd Lake: 2
-They were bad during the morning and evening. When winds picked up the mosquitoes disappeared.

Finger Lakes: 1
-Didn't really notice mosquitoes but it could have been we were there during the afternoon.

I tend to attract more mosquitoes than my gf. She only got a couple bites whereas I got about a dozen.
Buford
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mineral King Jul 23-26

Post by Buford »

Day 0
Trailhead -> Eagle Lake
1-2

Day 1
Eagle Lake -> trailhead-> Franklin Lakes -> Franklin Pass -> Little Claire Lake
all 1-2

Day 2
Little Claire-> Lost Canyon -> Upper Big 5 -> Xcountry pass to upper Little 5 -> Blackrock Pass -> Spring Lake -> Cyclamen Lake
All 1-2 Except at the lost canyon junction 3-4.

Day 3
Cyclamen Lake -> Columbine Lake -> Sawtooth Pass and Peak -> trailhead
1-2 Except between Columbine and the pass was 3-4.

All time of day and breeze dependent.

Long sleeves, pants, neck bandana and sun gloves. Did not use a headnet or DEET though I had them. Best defense was to keep moving. Scoop water and move 100 yards away and it got much better. Ranger at permit station said they would be horrific, I was pleasenly surprised they were less than that. Only 1 bite in the back country, plus 1 at the Silver City parking area getting lunch on the way home ](*,)
richapple
Topix Acquainted

South Yos/Merced Pass 7/19-7/25

Post by richapple »

July 19/20 - Upper Chain Lake (Southern Yosemite): 2, but that was in open air camping with some glorious breeze.
July 21 - Upper Merced Pass Lake: 2, even though the outlet wasn't flowing and it seemed very closed in and like a mosquito trap.
July 22/23 - Lower Ottoway Lake, we were on the rockier side of the lake (away from a 14 person Sierra Club mob camp): 2, but could have been a 3 without the breeze.
July 24 - Lower Merced Pass Lake: 1, oddly enough, except for a short time from 8 PM to 8:20, which must have been a mosquito tour bus stop. We were at the southwest corner, not in trees and with a nice breeze...
July 25 - Givens Lake: 2, camped on the famed "stub peninsula" (Schaffer). Some light breeze helped. But hmmm... What were those tiny swimming things in the water? Had to use a backup Sawyer Squeeze rather than my Steri Pen...

Overall we found this trip to be very survivable in terms of skeeters (considering the month), and using our natural repellent (non-deet) did the trick. The net hats never left the pack.
richapple
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Hoover Wilderness/NE Yosemite 2016

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Green Creek TH to Green Lake 1-2
West Lake 0-1 (wind kept them at bay)
Return Lake 0-1 (wind)
Soldier Lake 0-1
Nutter Lake 1-2 (worst at dusk, but short lived)

Did not apply Deet the entire trip. Very pleasant, few bites. TR coming...
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Southwest Yosemite 7/24-7/30

Post by kpeter »

In general, in SW Yosemite between July 24-July 30 and between 7000-11000 feet in elevation, we found:
--few mosquitoes below 9000 feet, For example, when we stayed next to the Merced below Lost Valley, at about 7000 feet, we saw virtually no mosquitoes, and they were light (1) at the Clark Fork and Illilouette Creeks at similar elevations.
--in areas above 9000 feet, mosquitoes could be a 4 or a 5 for the hour after sundown and the hour before sunrise. This was partly due to unusually warm conditions when we were there--the nights never got cold enough to slow them down. For example, at Red Devil Lake there were no mosquitoes out in the afternoon (1), but after sundown bug hats and repellent were vital (5)
--When hiking through breezeless areas at higher elevations, mosquitoes could pursue you down the trail depending on local conditions. Stopping to cool down usually stopped the problem. For example, descending the western trail into Triple Peak Creek from Red Devil took us near some stagnant water at 9500 feet and we were pursued until we stopped and cooled down.

In general, the mosquito band has moved up to the 9000+ range in SW Yosemite and can be expected to continue to migrate higher. They could make certain times of day pretty miserable, but I have seen more aggressive mosquitoes that were out all day, which was not the case on this week long trip.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ten Lakes Basin, Yosemite, July 29-31 - mosquito report

Post by wildhiker »

Hiked from the normal Ten Lakes trailhead on the Tioga Road at Yosemite Creek up to Lower Grant Lake (camped) and then over to the Ten Lakes basin (camped at the easternmost big lake), and then back. Elevations from 7,600 to 9,600 feet - camps were at about 9,300 feet. Very warm - even hot - temperatures during the day, mild at night. Mostly calm conditions, some light breezes.

Basically, very few mosquitoes. Level 1 during the day everywhere - hardly saw any and no bites. Level 2 around sunset and sunrise at the lake shores.

However, there were lots of annoying flies that would buzz around you during the day and land on you, but did not bite.

-Phil
BigMan
Topix Regular

Onion Valley to Whitney Portal

Post by BigMan »

Matlock Lake: 1
Center Basin: 1
Lake South America: 2-3 (AM only)
Upper Kern (above 11k feet): 1
Between Casper Lake and Milestone Basin: 3 (swarming at midday)
Milestone Basin: 3 (dusk only, 1 in the AM)
Wallace/Wales Lakes: 1
Tarns above Guitar Lake: 1
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
zabaco
Topix Newbie

Emigrant Wilderness Crabtree Trail-head 7/28 -7/31 Level 1

Post by zabaco »

Spent a total of three nights out in the Wildnerness covering the following locations.

Crabtree trail-head to Karls Lake (1) to Rosasco Lake (0). Also passed or visited the following lakes:

Wood Lake, 1
Buck Lakes, 1
Emigrant Lake, 0
Leighton Lake, 1
Pingree Lake 0

Mosquitoes were mostly consistent in all location but only maxed out at 1 on the scale. We did not attend all lakes in the mornings/ evenings (aka peak time). The few that were around were aggressive biting through thin clothing but were easily repelled by DEET or sitting close to the fire in the evening. Rosasco lake seemed to be a zero actually a few members slept on the open ground with no tent or bug net and had no issues. The trip was very hot with no wind. I would say the mosquito season is almost over with in the areas mentioned above def no head net required. We had a great time over landing/ doing off trail between Karls Lake and Rosasco. PM for details if interested.
ezraezra
Topix Newbie

Edison Lake / Silver Pass / Lone Indian Lake / Graveyard Mea

Post by ezraezra »

Just back from 4 days. Mosquitoes were a 0 or 1 in all locations, even Graveyard Meadow at dusk. zero bites.
Gabodinga
Topix Newbie

Tioga area

Post by Gabodinga »

P1030495-copy.jpg
Greetings,

I've been reading this for years but this is my first post. Hiker/camper for almost half a century.

I camped on Tioga Pass and we had a few mossies in the evening but nothing above a 2.
20 Lakes Basin - 2
Mono/Parker pass trail in Yosemite - 0 during the day
Trails around Tuolumne Meadows - 0 during the day
Conditions are primo right now but it as busy as I have ever seen it. I rarely go up in August because of the crowds and now I remember why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.